Shooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:)hey,how goes. new here and full of ? new to the thought of reloading,read many notes of processes but the first will be----small magnum pistol primers ok for 38 specal at +p loads ? and just a note--tkx :co nfused: to all who help the newbes

learnmore---=---livemore

·
Banned
484 Posts
Welcome! We were all Newbies at some time. Yes, magnum SP primers are OK in .38+P loads, with the understanding that you will start at least 10% below the maximum listed powder charge and work up from there.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
+1 on small magnum pistol primers being ok for .38 Special +p loads. IME, small standard pistol primers will work as well. If you're working with +p loads, be aware that the best groups are usually obtained at less than maximum velocities. In other words, the highest velocity does not always produce the tightest groups with this cartridge.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok , tkx , small primers are hard ta get aholh of and i grabed quiteafew mag. iam going ta throw one more out there- on 38 special brass, do they also need to be +p , or will any brass work 4 +p loads w/mag. primers ? i have nickle brass also-does that helpto make case any stronger? tkx agin

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,917 Posts
Hear lots of pros and cons on nickel coated brass - some hate it and some have pretty good luck with it. Just be sure the cases are clean before running into the resising die. Any contaminant will scratch the die and in turn, start scratching the cases. Matter of fact, that's good advice whether using coated or uncoated cases.

No - the .38 Spl. brass is the same, no matter what the base stamp says. The base stamp for +P indicates a hotter than normal load and these, plus reloaded hot loads, should only be shot in handguns with beefy enough frames to handle the higher pressure loadings. Check out your firearm first before shooting these loads. The manufacturer or a gunsmith can verify this for you.

·
Super Moderator
13,632 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Rules are to join in, have fun, and play nicely with the rest of us kids.

Nickel is usually slightly less durable than standard brass, cracking and splitting a little more easily because the brass underneath is pickled in acid before the plating. This is done both to prep the surface to accept the plating and to thin it a little to make room for the plating. The purpose of nickel on a case is better corrosion resistance in a harsh environment, such as being kept in leather belt loops in high humidity. The alternative method, used by the military, is not to polish the brass after manufacturing. That leaves oxide layers in place that also resists corrosion.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
tkx agin!!! iam shooting with a s+w j frame +p .38-like it, but one of my favorites is my puma 16" .38/357, keed ta learn more before i load but looking foward 2 it. going ta reed.

learnmore---=---livemore

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hey if ya dont mind,45/70 gov. will take large rifle primers,but can i also use mag. primers and also down the load by say 10% ? one other thing plz... ive looked for a listing of primer size via gun size note and canot find a detailed breakdown of souch,or am i not looking in right spots. via...380-357 take small 41-50 take large =help plz with such list pistol+rifle.. tkx this is truley a great place ta learn FACTS from educated people!!!

learnmore---=---livemore::D

·
Registered
157 Posts
You can do the 10% lower load but also taken into account that magnum primers can actually unseat the bullet from the shell prior to igniting the powder.. I read some guy had this problem here in the past... You will probably want to apply a slightly harder crimp if you are thinking about going this way.

MIke.

·
Banned
484 Posts
In handguns the .25, 30, .32, .38, 9mm, .357 (both Magnum and Sig) .40 S&W and .45 GAP all take small pistol primers.

The .38/40,, 10mm, .41, .44, .45 and larger cartridges take large pistol primers. However, every rule has an exception and I have seen .45 ACP brass that took small primers, but it is rare. There are a very few handgun cartridges such as the .500 S&W that take large rifle primers.

A good loading manual will tell you what you need to know.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok tkx, will take note to crimping process-wont use them unless nessary.also tkx on the pistol primer note. iam good fer now thanks all.

learnmore---=---livemore

1 - 13 of 13 Posts