Shooters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So What Kind of guns do the professional Competition guys use? And about how much are they on average?

Also, How would I actually start to get into the scene, what are some good organizations to look out for. I live mostly in southern georgia.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I can't help you on the cost but it would help others to do so if you were more specific as to "which type" of competition shooting you want to get into. For example there is Cowboy Action, 3-Gun, Bullseye, etc. Al of which have differing associated costs and gun types.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My advice is first find exactly what competition type your interested in. Then go to a local running of that competition, the people there should be more than willing to give you all the information that your interested in such as equipment and firearms and how things work. Then, compete and have fun.

Reokue

·
"Bad Joke Friday" Dan (moderator emeritus)
7,762 Posts
And as I'm sure you appreciate, there are different levels of competition, ranging from production to anything goes. And of course the particular category you chose will significantly dictate the cost for the pistol. The last competition race pistol I handled was a super-38 that a gentleman on the range asked if I'd like to shoot. I really enjoyed it and asked how much it cost and he said $5,000. I carefully handed it back to him :)

I understand that one of the newer and popular additions is the production category that significantly limits the modifications allowed, thus the cost being somewhat in line with a off the shelf production pistol.

Dan

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I read into bullseye, and while I like the format, I don't have three guns and won't for a while. I particularily like the slow fire. but Run and gun is also a lot of fun. What kinds of competition are out there that are single gun? Preferably .22 lr that I can do with at most a red dot scope, and maybe an up graded trigger.

·
"Bad Joke Friday" Dan (moderator emeritus)
7,762 Posts
When I shot Bullseye, I shot .22 and .45 for the three pistol categories, but none of the contests I entered required you to compete in more than one match; ie, I could shoot the complete .22 match and not shoot either centerfire or .45. I'd suggest the following advice from a web article may help:

To get started in bullseye, contact the NRA's competition department at 800-672-3888 and ask for a bullseye rule book and a sample copy of Shooting Sports USA. Shooting Sports is the NRA's monthly publication dedicated to target shooting. The last 10 pages or so of each issue are dedicated to listing all the NRA-sanctioned events across the country in each discipline. Shooting Sports is a "must have" for the bullseye shooter. (http://bullseyepistol.com/getinto.htm)

Dan

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Steel Challege is pretty fun and you can do it with just the Rimfire or buy a $5k race gun too. I have a STI Grandmaster in .38 Super TJ for the centerfire portion and I just shoot my MKIIIs for the rimfire portion. There are lots of clubs in Georgia, just check out www.uspsa.org for more info on local clubs.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is there one for beretta I wouldn't mind saving up to get a 92FS customized like revys from black lagoon.... granted she uses a 93R... *Drools*

·
Registered
6 Posts
When I shot Bullseye, I shot .22 and .45 for the three pistol categories, but none of the contests I entered required you to compete in more than one match; ie, I could shoot the complete .22 match and not shoot either centerfire or .45. I'd suggest the following advice from a web article may help:

To get started in bullseye, contact the NRA's competition department at 800-672-3888 and ask for a bullseye rule book and a sample copy of Shooting Sports USA. Shooting Sports is the NRA's monthly publication dedicated to target shooting. The last 10 pages or so of each issue are dedicated to listing all the NRA-sanctioned events across the country in each discipline. Shooting Sports is a "must have" for the bullseye shooter. (http://bullseyepistol.com/getinto.htm)

Dan
Hey Dan,
Thanks so much for the website. It's exactly what I was looking for. Man, they have a lot of information. Great site!

·
Banned
3,948 Posts
Now back in the early 70's, I too thought about doing this pistol thing and had 3 Colt 1911 models, a Gold Cup and 2 model 70 series that had been worked on. I did not really understand or comprehend the total time committment it takes to get to the level needed to become a "top-dog" in the shooting arena. Nor did I realize the time that would be spent reloading my bullets in order to train on the range. Also trying to round up sponsors to help out the money end of things.

I shot up something like 10,000 rounds that year and it was half of what the #1 shooter shot up during his practice sessons. He wore out 2 barrels and sent 22,000 rounds down range. My time was getting short for the other things I also liked to do, rope calves, ride horses and motorcycles etc. Not to mention fishing on the lakes and swooning those young lovely ladies. You must have a certain amount of natural talent and work ethics that are second to none............A large amount of your total time will be spent on the range and loading bullets. Good Luck! ;)

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
As in many things, the way to become a pro is to first become an outstanding amateur. Decide which form of competition you want to excel in. Research the game, paying close attention to guns, techniques, etc. Practice, practice, practice. Enter many competitions. Practice. Practice. Practice. Win many competitions. Practice, practice, practice, practice. When you attract the attention of a big sponsor, sign on with them. Practice, practice, practice. Win more and bigger competitions. Practice, practice, practice, practice, practice....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts