Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've shot assault rifles before, but when I aim I lean the side of my head so my cheek is on the rifle itself. I need to do this when I aim, but the problem is the noise from every shot causes the hearing on the nearby ear to deteriorate and it takes about 2 days for my hearing to recover completely. I think this is because of the fact that my cheek is leaning on the rifle, but I need to do that to aim. Anyone have any ideas on how I can use an assault rifle without effecting my hearing?

·
Inactive for over a decade
6,248 Posts
Thats an AR for ya.... I always use ear plugs and ear muffs... my hearing is just too valuable.

·
Banned
453 Posts
Also make sure you mouth is closed because noise and shock wave can enter via your open mouth.
If you have fired a lot of assualt rifles without hearing protection most of the time you may have done some damaged to that ear or both.

·
Registered
817 Posts
shooting a gun at the range without ear protection is plain STUPID!!!

I think what is he trying to say is the cheek weld disrupts the seal between his muffs and his ear. Obviously, this could be cured by wearing a good set of foam ear plugs with a NRR of around 30 under the muffs. Like I said, I THINK this is what he is trying to relate to us.

·
Registered
7,839 Posts
Range Junkie kudos to you for giving the Brainy kid so much credit, but I really think it's wishful thinking that his cheek weld is affecting his hearing protection. I mean, we know that happens to us, but his thread never mentioned anything about hearing protection and the way the rest of it was written suggests he's NOT wearing protection. Good on you though - he needs hearing protection AND forum support.

Brainy, put some soft plugs in then your muff protectors over them like Range Junkie sais. That way, if your cheek weld moves the cup protectors a tad, you've still got some protection.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Range Junkie kudos to you for giving the Brainy kid so much credit, but I really think it's wishful thinking that his cheek weld is affecting his hearing protection. His thread never mentioned anything about hearing protection and the way the rest of it was written suggests he's NOT wearing protection. Good on you though - he needs hearing protection AND forum support.

Brainy, put some soft plugs in then your muff protectors over them. That way, if your cheek weld moves the cup protectors a tad, you've still got some protection.
I guess I'm just an optimist. I can't imagine shooting an AR15 without hearing protection :eek: unless it has a suppressor attached. Anyone who does this is lucky they aren't completely deaf.

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
11,868 Posts
I've had the same problem as brainy when using muffs while shooting shotguns. Muffs fit fine until I touch 'er off then then I wondered why my ear was ringing. Problem solved with foam plugs like the other :D "RJ" said.

RJ

·
Registered
7,839 Posts
They move a tad for me, depending on which rifle or shotgun I'm shooting. But I've always been a "double" protection guy, so it matters little.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,225 Posts
I agree with Range Junkie - hard cased hearing protection can and will be dislodged from a good seal when trying to attain a proper cheek weld to a rifle stock. I've worked at a local gun range for the past 10 years and have worn numerous makes of hard shell protectors while both running the line 10 hours a day and when target shooting on my days off. The only logical answer is to screw in some foam or soft rubber ear plugs and wear under the hard shell protectors to assure good sound reduction.

Most times I merely plug the right ear as that is the one exposed to muzzle blast when benchresting the rifles and the protectors ride up from the ear.

·
Inactive member
1,648 Posts
Well, when you get my age, and have a 70 DB hearing loss above 5 Khz you find out it was not all that macho to be doing all your shooting without hearing protection when you are in your teens and twenties. If you've numbed them to where it takes a while to recover full hearing, you have ALREADY damaged your hearing, it just may take a few years for it to show up. Just how much more you want to damage them is up to you, but every shot you make without good hearing protection is destroying a few more nerve cells.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I have always worn muffs or plugs at the range, but unfortunately I did a lot of non-range shooting as a kid and now have tinnitus. I actually went on a dove hunt to Mexico (back when it was still good hunting) the summer before I started 6th grade. On that hunt I fired 100 rounds or so per day for 3 or 4 days. That school year, I failed my hearing test. My hearing came back, and while I don't notice any hearing loss now, I do have the tinnitus to prove that long term damage does result.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
When your ears stop ringing, those nerves are dead. Its cumulative. The .223 is supposed to be the worst for this. I used to testfire M16s and wore plugs and muffs. Still got damage and a ring in the ears, left one worse. Dont fire without hearing protection if possible.

·
Banned
1,508 Posts
I have fairly bad hearing, and once in a while my ears will just randomly start ringing, or i will hear a high pitched buzzing noise for no reason. Unfortunatly 90% of my hunting is in thick timber, and it makes the noise a lot louder around your ears, .338 WM is pretty loud.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Another idea is electronic ear plugs, they are like a marriage between a custom (made for your ear) earplug and a hearing aid, they make loud noises quiet, but do not cut out the quiet noise, so you can hear just fine, talk with your buddies, and shoot as well, except without the hearing damage, I believe on some of them you can even make them amplify quiet sounds

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.