Shooters Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my rifle back today from teflon coating, but the bolt won't engage. I was told I'd probably have to adjust the sear engagement, but the Timney manual said the sear was preadjusted at the factory and shouldn't be adjusted. I presume I need to take it to a gunsmith. It was set perfectly before the gun was sent in, and my gut feeling is that the bolt wasn't properly reassembled. It also may be a quick fix. I'd appreciate any comments.

·
Inactive
7,586 Posts
Is the outfit that did the coating within close proximity to you? I would sure discuss the issue with them first if you haven't already done so.

When you say the 'bolt won't engage', do you mean it won't close in the action, or that you get no trigger function?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I deal with a local FFL/friend, and he recommended a place in another state, so no... the outfit is not close to me.

I drew a blank as to how to describe the problem, but when you cycle the bolt, the trigger never engages. You pull the trigger, and there isn't anything that catches. The outfit teflon coated the bolt, and I'm wondering if anything inside the bolt is sticking.

I don't know the terminology well, so pardon the weak description. The bottom line is that pulling the trigger doesn't do anything. The trigger pulls back but never engages.

·
Inactive
7,586 Posts
OK, well that does sound like possibly a trigger issue then. However....are you familiar with how to back the firing pin out of the bolt? I guess I would do that next, just to make sure nothing got stuck together in the process? Cock the bolt, then put the safety in the neutral position. Remove the bolt from the gun. Hold the bolt in your left hand with bolt lugs to your left, then back on the bolt shroud there is a little button...push it while turning the shroud counter-clockwise. The firing pin will turn out. I just did this with one of my mod 70's, so I'm skeptical that the problem is there, but it's worth a try just to inspect it and see if something is obvious (like no spring in there.:eek:) Beyond that, probably a trip to the gunsmith unless others have suggestions.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will try your suggestion and disassemble the bolt. I'll report back what I find. What I find interesting, though, is that this is a drop-in Timney trigger that was working for about 6 months and never a problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.