Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
:(
Ok, I admit, I'm a dummy. I was cleaning my P95 .. 9MM... And when I reassembled it, I did something wrong.

It's stuck in the position in the following photos... The slide will move a little to the back, but not much.

My question... is this a job for a gunsmith or for "sending back to Rugrer"?

thanks in advance for any help,

Pat

https://picasaweb.google.com/111758848918068207335/January112012#5696379722159486802

https://picasaweb.google.com/111758848918068207335/January112012#5696379723163711682

https://picasaweb.google.com/111758848918068207335/January112012#5696379732642366210

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I clearly can't figure how to upload images

the picasa links have the pictures....

Still trying to figure it out.

I'm new to this forum, so please bear with me... (no pun intended)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So... I haven't been on here long enough to post photos...

Sorry.

and thanks for any help.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,464 Posts
Does the ejector have to be forward when you put the slide one? I think that's how my p89 was.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I've got a P95, it sounds like you didn't push the ejector down when disassembling or reassembling, I would take the pin out and remove the slide and follow the directions for reassembly, if you cannot get the slide back far enough for disassembly, try to move it just far enough to reach in and depress the ejector fully, that would allow you to then remove the slide and reassemble.
I don't know if the pictures would help much, but the ejector not in the depressed position is the only thing I can think of that would restrict the slide.
Let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ejector is down

The ejector was down when I removed it... (it has to be, I think).

The pin is not in... I couldn't push it back far enough to put it in. I can't pull the slide off.

I can't see down in there to really tell if the ejector came up when I put the slide back on. I don't believe it IS up, but it might be.

I can't get away from work to take it to my gun club and have the gunsmith look at it.

on another note, can no one see the pix on the picasa web site.

Thanks, again,

Pat

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
The pics are not showing for me. There might be a check box to change the pics from private to public.

~~~

The ejector does not pop up automatically, insert a mag or use your finger.

Make sure the recoil spring assembly is in the correct position.

The recoil spring has a large end and a small end, the large end goes to the front.

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
Now they show.

~~~

The barrel is in the wrong spot, it needs to be farther to the rear. I don't think the slide stop is supposed to be removed completely during a field strip.

·
Registered
45 Posts
i know nothing about rugers, but the barrel and recoil spring guide should be INSIDE the slide when the slide is fully forward in relation to the frame...they are not supposed to move with the slide....the barrel was not fixed by the linking mechanism to ramp down and stay put when it was reassembled...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i know nothing about rugers, but the barrel and recoil spring guide should be INSIDE the slide when the slide is fully forward in relation to the frame...they are not supposed to move with the slide....the barrel was not fixed by the linking mechanism to ramp down and stay put when it was reassembled...
Not to be too much of a smart aleck.... but I DO know that is not right! :)

My question has been to ask an opinion of
... should I send it back to ruger, or could a local gunsmith fix this?

thanks for all the answers.

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
If the ejector is down it will block the mag well.

Use the heel of your hand and drive the slide forward. Use your hand again to drive the barrel rearward. The bind is in the height of the barrel.

·
Registered
45 Posts
there seemed to be some issue on exactly what was wrong in your mind and that of other posters, especially going by what was typed by everyone....wasn't trying to insult you...one thing, for sure, if you can get it in that condition, you can also unscrew the unscrewtable without sending it to anyone else....unless you assembled it with a 10lb hammer, which i don't believe for a moment.....if you were local, i would have to see the gun to make sure that wasn't the case....

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks, mtngunr,

Please be sure that I am thankful for every helpful comment. I don't feel at all insulted.
I assume most of us are males... we have a tendency to want to fix things.

Since I'm new to shooting (been really into it for only about 5 years), I'm still learning. And I'm a little hesitant to try to force anything. After more experience, I will figure out how to fix more things.

The slide won't move forward at all. It APPEARS that the ejector is up... hence blocking the move forward.

I belong to Whistling Pines Gun club here in Co. Springs, CO... I'm going to take it over there this morning. They have a gunsmith on site.

I'll post the steps taken ...

Thanks again, EVERYONE.

:cool:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I took it down to my gunclub. The ejector was up (I REALLY messed up), and the gunsmith managed to pull it down and then the slide came off.

So, that was the problem, and now I know a little more about how to fix what I break!

Thanks again for y'alls help.

Pat

:D

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
That's good news. So many people take it to the 'smith after the hammer has been used. Sounds like you had a quick and easy repair.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Glad you're fixed up and ready to go. I'm a bit of a Ruger bigot and have several and the one thing I have found with them is to keep the instruction book at hand with each one when I take them down for cleaning. the MKII is so easy with the book, and so hard when I forget one little thing. I think the P95 is the same, but I have always just used the book with it.
Glad you're back in action.
shoot straight

1 - 20 of 24 Posts