Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at the range last week to sight in my Remington 700 .270. I had been using Winchester superX 130 grain the last 2 times I sighted it in. The time before that I used federal 130 grain. That was over the course of 11 months. I have never been more than 3" off at a hundred yard before re sighting.

Last week I used Remington Core-Lokt 130 grains because it was all the shop had at the time and I didn't even hit the target. So I sighted in at 50 yards and managed to get a 2" grouping after 4 shots. I moved back out to 100 yards and I could barely manage an 8 inch grouping.

Maybe I was shaky or something, but has anyone else had a problem with this ammo?

·
Registered
489 Posts
Quite possibly your gun just didn't like them. I had a 308 that would drive me nuts with loads. It seemed to only like a specific bullet. Same powder charge, primer just change bullet and it wouldn't group. If there is one that works for you buy a few boxes when you can so you will have them.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
I hate Remington 22lr ammo, it's the worst ammo ever made for rimfire. However, I can't say that about their centerfire ammo. I've always found it to be very good ammo. Even if it weren't particularly good in your gun, getting the groups you're getting at 50 and 100 yards is indicative of something more than ammo problems. Even the worst factory ammo I ever used in any centerfire rifle shot much better than that. I owned a couple of .270 rifles and they both shot at least 1.5" groups at 100yds with the least accurate factory ammo I used. I'd suggest you try another brand and see what's going on. I wouldn't be surprised to find that you're getting grouping problems with any brand based on what you're saying.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did check the scope mounting, Im going back up tomorrow with the Winchester ammo I sighted it in with last time (had to go to bass pro and pay 24$). I should clarify that the grouping was 3 shots inside 3" and 2 shots at 5" grouping. The 3 outsiders in the 8 inch ring. All at 100 yards. Ive had this gun for 16 years and never had an issue like this, but I dont think Ive ever used Remington ammo.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,991 Posts
I have shot a fair amount of Remington factory ammo and components, but I'm sad to say that it appears to be in decline. The older stuff was better for sure. It may not be you or the gun.

Let us know if you find a loose scope, etc.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I hate Remington 22lr ammo, it's the worst ammo ever made for rimfire. However, I can't say that about their centerfire ammo. I've always found it to be very good ammo. Even if it weren't particularly good in your gun, getting the groups you're getting at 50 and 100 yards is indicative of something more than ammo problems. Even the worst factory ammo I ever used in any centerfire rifle shot much better than that. I owned a couple of .270 rifles and they both shot at least 1.5" groups at 100yds with the least accurate factory ammo I used. I'd suggest you try another brand and see what's going on. I wouldn't be surprised to find that you're getting grouping problems with any brand based on what you're saying.
Yeah my Rugar 10/22 jams up after 20 to 30 shots using Remington ammo. It sucks because that is what most places carry.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have shot a fair amount of Remington factory ammo and components, but I'm sad to say that it appears to be in decline. The older stuff was better for sure. It may not be you or the gun.

Let us know if you find a loose scope, etc.
I think you are right. The only reason I bought the Remington's instead of shopping around is because my uncle used to swear by them (10-15 years ago). Now Im afraid Im stuck with 2 boxes of junk.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Will update tomorrow after i run 10 Winchesters through it.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Funny how rifles like to be fed specific things.
I can shoot 1/2-5/8 moa at 100 yards with my handloads (40gr Vmax w/Tac) out of my 22-250. Put some Winshester white box 45 grainers in it and it groups terribly.
Well, I say they grouped like poo but, I have some more decent brass now anyhow. :)

Reactions: motobreath138

·
Registered
734 Posts
Different guns like different ammo. I have a 270W in a Mk X Interarms, and with 130 gr Core-Lokts, it will shoot under an inch at 100 yards.

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
I see that loaded ammunition in the stores and I always wonder what the heck is in those cases, never shot any thankfully! I actually bought some loaded 7mm saum one time just to get the cases, was going to shoot it but it bugged me enough that by the time I got home I ran downstairs and pulled the bullets and threw them and the powder away. Almost 40 years since I loaded my first cartridge, can't imagine shooting any that I haven't made myself.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
Last week I used Remington Core-Lokt 130 grains because it was all the shop had at the time and I didn't even hit the target. So I sighted in at 50 yards and managed to get a 2" grouping after 4 shots. I moved back out to 100 yards and I could barely manage an 8 inch grouping.
Almost a verbatim report of what I regularly experience with 150 gr Remington CoreLokt when I buy it for the sake of the brass for the .280 Rem. Can not get better than 2" at 50 yards. Once reloaded with RL22 and even with some of the same pulled bullets it literally only makes one hole, slightly deformed. I still buy it because it is cheap and at least gives me off-hand trigger time and breath control practice. What is more - without a doubt the core is not locked anymore. In the faster cartridges it separates from the jacket at first impact with about 6x calibre expansion.

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
Quite possibly your gun just didn't like them. I had a 308 that would drive me nuts with loads. It seemed to only like a specific bullet. Same powder charge, primer just change bullet and it wouldn't group. If there is one that works for you buy a few boxes when you can so you will have them.
I have a couple of .308 rifles where one likes 150 grain SPBT bullets & Varget powder (my S&W Model "B"). Then, I have a Ruger Model 77 Compact Magnum which is not fussy with any type bullet; I have loaded rounds using 150 grain Speer RNSPs and some reloaded with Hornady's 150 gr. Spire-point Softpoint both loaded with IMR-4064. My Ruger rifle shoots both loads at the same point of impact at around 75 yards, and I use the 150 grain RNSP for woods hunting and the Spire-points for open country field shots of around 150 yards+.

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
8,376 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,442 Posts
FWIW--
What is being described here is typical of bad bedding or internal problems. A rifle that is straight, solid and square will shoot all ammo (in the range dictated by twist) acceptably well all the time. When a rifle throws shots in the bushes, there's something wrong with the rifle, not necessarily the load. I've never seen a rifle that is 'right' shoot factory ammo too badly to hunt with, but all seem to have their favorites.
A bad barrel (crown, fouling, wear) tends to shoot everything badly, but wear can be accommodated usually by longer bullets, for a while anyway.

As a gunsmith, I test with factory ammo because that IS the standard, like it or not. A rifle that won't group with any factory round you put in it is a bad rifle and needs help.

Light weight barrels without bedding (free-floated) will sometimes be scary accurate with one particular load but 'go sour' without reason until the load is adjusted.

·
Registered
327 Posts
My old BAR 270 does not like ( it shoots 3 to 4.5" with them) either the Winchester nor Remington 130grs. The "only" 130 it shoots extremely well ( .75" for 3 shots!) is handloaded 130 PTs. The old Winchester factory 140 Failsafe shot like my handloads! I "expect" a BAR to prefer one round over another. However, awhile back I had a used Mod 70 Mountain rifle in .270. Like most lwt barrels, it preferred one weight over another, in this case it was the 150gr over anything else, but it was still a 3 to 4" shooter...it had some issues. Of course, a "consistent" 3 to 4" shooter will kill every buck in the hills, ha. I hope you find some good ammo it likes before season!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
UPDATE: Bought a box of winchester super x power-point. First 3 shots at 100 yards (lazy didn't want to waste ammo starting at 50 yards) were inside 4 inches. I checked the scope mounting and everything last night and everything was tight. After another 4 shots i was inside of 1.5". Which is good enough for me. I hunt deer in West Virginia and 50 yards is a long shot, with all of the old growth trees, briars, and the fact that you may have to drag a deer 2000 ft uphill if you dont drop it on the first shot. So anyway, I let the gun cool, fired one more shot and I was almost dead on.

When I looked at the ammo side by side there was a huge difference between brands. Someone at the range said I should switch to 150 grain because the consistency is better. Any thoughts on why I am getting such different results with the remington ammo?

1 - 20 of 93 Posts