Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an Uberti 1873 rifle, in .44-40 with a half octagon, half round barrel, half magazine and pistol grip. The rifle looks and shoots great but has developed a problem.

A while back a friend and I - he is much more knowledgeable about these rifles than I am - installed a Whisper Spring Lever and Lift kit from the Smith Shop in Rhode Island. Also put in a new lever safety spring from the same company, which works great.

Due to the lousy weather, I took the rifle to the range for the first time on Thursday. Got through 18 rounds without issue then began to have problems with the carrier block not dropping enough to allow the breech block to clear. If I shake the rifle the block will usually fall just enough to free up the breech block so I can eject the empty cartridge. Of course I can also push down the carrier block with a screw driver or other tool. Needless to say, however, this is a pain in the butt.

I have sent an inquiry to the Smith Shop to see if anyone else has had this problem after installing the Whisper Springs and, of course, I don't know for sure if that is what is causing this.

Has anyone else had this problem or anything similar and if so, how did you fix it?

This gun has a very light trigger with no creep and can shoot a sub one inch group at 50 yards with open sights. It is fun to shoot but right now it may or may not be a repeater at any point in time.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
I’m curious why you installed those parts. Was the rifle working OK as you bought it?

·
Premium Member
14,341 Posts
Gunsmith's adage--- If it ain't broke, DON'T fix it.

It's been too long since I stirred the chittlins of a '73. Does the block fall or is it pushed? Answer that and you'll know where to look.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies...

My friend took the rifle home and slicked up the action, which consisted of getting some tiny burrs off the carrier block and a general review of the receiver with a tiny bit of polishing here and there. It now works perfectly. The block drops all the way down into the action and stays there unless I chamber a round.

I installed those parts in an effort to improve two things: 1. The safety lever spring that came in it was so strong that I had to get a death grip on it to fire the rifle - which is not satisfactory. The replacement spring lightened it to the point where I don't have to do a "white knuckle" squeeze to get it to fire but the safety lever still functions. 2. I thought the lever and lift kit would improve the functioning of the action and, after the de-burring, it did. While it is not the same as an expensive action job, the rifle does function better now.

No, it wasn't broke, just thought it could work smoother and now it does.

The cost, by the way, was about $50.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts