Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a mosin nagant 91/30 and i have a slight problem that i ddnt realize untill after it made the ride home. The trigger is rather loose and can be moved forward about a half an inch. As a result it seems that the notch on the end of the trigger doesnt fully engage the bolt and if you jiggle the bolt in the right way when it is in the open position the bolt will come about without depressing the trigger at all. Does anyone know the way to solve this? What is a typical trigger pull on a mosin?

·
Registered
291 Posts
This could be because of a loose or shimmed triggerspring screw. When you shim the screw on a MN you can effectively lighten the trigger pull and decrease travel but you may be able to pull the bolt out without pulling the trigger. Typical trigger pull: heavy with extreme creep.

·
Registered
620 Posts
A half inch forward play is typical with 91/30's. They are not precisely built rifles. your spring/sear, or the forward sear is the one that will cause this problem. Shimming it will only loosen it and make it worse. You have a couple options. You can try and bend the spring a little, but carefully, because it's easy to break springs this way. Another option would be to try and find another spring/sear and replace it.

If it was pre-owned, someone may have tried to fix the trigger and cut or polished this down too far.

Mosins have a fairly heavy trigger pull, but it's usually not because of the spring. The actual trigger sear tends to move backwards and down when you pull the trigger. In a perfect world, it would only move straight down. Thats why many mosin triggers "load up" or feel really heavy. The sear is pushing back on the cocking piece and getting heavier and heavier until the trigger breaks.

The way I fixed mine, and dropped my trigger from 13 lbs, down to about 3 lbs, was I polished the sear and cocking piece. I also canted the sear to allow for a straight down movement when pulling the trigger. This is a process that can be easily messed up and if you go too far, your rifle will be unsafe to operate, and new parts will be needed. So you need to know whats going on.

As far as the forward travel, you can get a spring that will hold your trigger back, but I can't recall what they call the specific type of spring. The forward movement is nothing to worry about other than it will just flop around a little.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts