Shooters Forum banner

Progressive Presses

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Big Bore 
#1 ·
I want to replace my single stage press. I've looked into the RCBS Pro 2000, the Hornady AP, and the DIllion RL 550B and XL-650. My biggest concern is with which one gives the most accurate/consistent powder powder dispensing and thereby the most consistent load. They're all under &#36500 so price is not the issue. Ill be loading for 454, 300 Win mag, and possibly, 45-70. I'd like some recomendations and maybe some pro and cons.  Does thinking about your reloading press as you fall asleep at night give you nightmares, or do you wake up refreshed, looking forward to nexct reloading session?  Thanks in advance for your help.

God bless,

#2 ·
I did a lot of reserch before I got my dillion, and every one of the reloaders that sell at the gun shows use dillion....  Most recomend 550.  
  I love mine...      Sorry I dont have a comparison for you....        

The other progressives were not available at that time...    Scout...

#3 ·
I got started using progressive presses with the Dillion 300. This press is, in my opinion, the most heavily made press ever. I've got three Dillion Square Deals and one 650.
I have no experience with the Hornady product. I have no experience with the Lee machine, but if it is like any of the other products, of theirs, that I have used, I would avoid them.
Dillion builds a good product, backs that product, nuff said.
Jim

#4 ·
You will not be sorry for choosing a Dillon product. I use a RL 550B for all my pistol reloading. I like to use a single stage for my rifles though. I like to weigh the individual charges when messing with my rifles. Just a personal preference.
Some people load rifle on progressives and if you so choose, your Dillon will not let you down. I really like RCBS products and Redding also. I am not downing them, I'm just tooting my horn about a Dillon. Joey S

#5 ·
I just wanted to thank those who helped me in my decision making process.  Because the Pro 2000 is so new, there's not many users out there. What I have heard has been very positive. Of course, the 550B is a great machine, as many reloaders will attest.  However, I'm going for the Pro 2000.  Once I get it up an running, I'll post a review, based on my experiences.  Again, thanks for help. It was greatly appreciated.

God bless,

#6 ·
  No matter what press you use, Im sure your going to enjoy spending time with it.    

Happy loading...  
                                   Scout...

#7 ·
HUH?  Did I miss something here?  I must be dense tonight, but I don't get it?  I'm sure the RCBS will work ok, but really, why ask for advice if you already had your mind made up?  I am not trying to be critical of your decision, but I fail to understand.

#8 ·
Big Bore, I'm sorry for any confusion, but I really had not made a decision when I asked for help.  I have relied on a number resources in this decision making process, and I have expressed my thanks them, also, just as I expressed my gratitude to this forum. Those who took the time to help me in my decision, I thought, deserved my thanks for their thoughtfulness and for their help.  Actually the final decision was made after several times of reading over Dillon's help site dealing with questions and problems with the 550B and also after reading and re-reading an article written by someone who worked for Dillon and wrote a comparison between the 550B and the 650. In this article he also answered questions that were raised about the 550. I hope those who offered their help know that I appreciate and value their input and that I respect their experience. If I didn't, I wouldn't have asked for help in the first place.

God bless,

#9 ·
Fair enough.  Let us know how the Pro-2000 turns out.  One thing about RCBS, you sure cannot fault their customer service if you need it, which of course, is also true for Dillon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.