Shooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What projects are you folks working on/planning? I'm not talking about a new gunstock, rebarrelling, wildcats, new loads, casting. I mean indirect to shooting projects. Like a new reloading table, reloading room, or a new bench rest, etc. Just stuff that helps the shooting experience without actually being a part of the shooting experience. Hope that last part made sense.

I'm thinking about making my own shooting rest with a scissor jack for elevation...And something for windage...Not quite sure on how I want to do that part yet. I can't do too much else quite yet, as I rent. So I really can't do too much in the remodeling department. I've also been collect every single one of those gel packs that I can find for moisture control. Not much of a project, but it's something.

What about you folks?

·
Registered
490 Posts
What projects are you folks working on/planning? I'm not talking about a new gunstock, rebarrelling, wildcats, new loads, casting. I mean indirect to shooting projects. Like a new reloading table, reloading room, or a new bench rest, etc. Just stuff that helps the shooting experience without actually being a part of the shooting experience. Hope that last part made sense.

I'm thinking about making my own shooting rest with a scissor jack for elevation...And something for windage...Not quite sure on how I want to do that part yet. I can't do too much else quite yet, as I rent. So I really can't do too much in the remodeling department. I've also been collect every single one of those gel packs that I can find for moisture control. Not much of a project, but it's something.

What about you folks?
http://www.shootersforum.com/showthread.htm?t=21782&highlight=rifle+rest
This is a link to a rest similar to what you are wanting to do. It is a post by Faucettb, a member familiar to many of us who has gone home. Search his threads and you will get some great ideas.

·
Registered
13,291 Posts
I've been gradually rearranging and organizing my reloading area, with a new shelf for my various manuals and reference books, another set of shelves for clear plastic totes where I'm storing caliber-specific dies/brass/bullets, and also looking at how I can incorporate a small laptop or netbook PC into my reloading area. Winter sure is boring. :D

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
i don't necessarily have any reloading bench/room type of projects but i am accumulating the parts to put together a nice light 6.5x55 on a 98 action... i should strip & refinish the stock om my model 7 but since it's hardwood not walnut i might just hold out and replace it instead... dunno... since it's a youth stock i could refinish it and shelve it in case one of my daughters takes to hunting...

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,686 Posts
Hmmm. I have a few things that I'd like to make stocks for, from scratch. We'll see how far I get.

Also need pull the barrel on my .444 and have it cryo'd, to see if it will stop throwing cold barrel shots.

Clean up the loading area??? Blasphemy!!!! :D :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I've got more projects in the works now than I'm gonna get done in the rest of this lifetime, unless I decide to retire again. The problem is, it takes one of two things to complete most any project, time and money. When I have the time, I don't have the money. Making the money doesn't leave the time.

I'm also into a whole lot more stuff other than guns. There's the 1/5 scale RC Planes, RC Helicoptors, bass fishing, building hot rod bass boats/motors, hot rod cars, currently retoring 73 VW convertable and building a hot 1988 Vet and just started on my old 93 4WD Toyota Pickup for granddaughter, several electronics projects going, a number of pieces of picture framing my wife wants done, building new cabinets for the kitchen, and the list can go on and on. There just not a whole lot I'm not into. Then there's the highest priority of all, spending as much time as possible with my 14 year old granddaughter, doing things she likes, which also includes golf.

So, for current projects, you name one, and I've probably got it started, some for a few years now.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I've got several going right now too. a couple rifles, a couple stocks.... My house... got 4 windows in just needs to get a little warmer so I can get the last two replaced.

I build a stand a year or two ago. Has vertical and horizontal adjustments. I built mine out of some scrap steel, and an old office chair. I have access to the old mans metal shop though so that helps. Still have to make a new top piece for the actual rest part.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
I need to clean up the gun room. Funny thing, you have 2 kids and all of a sudden you struggle to find time to shoot as much as you used to...

·
Registered
490 Posts
I need to clean up the gun room. Funny thing, you have 2 kids and all of a sudden you struggle to find time to shoot as much as you used to...
That is true-priorities change. I spent 2 hours last night trying to straighten up my gun room. Got some new shelves/storage bins from Fastenal (nice blue color just like Dillon- they have any size shelves with dividers built in) and have organized the bullets, cases and reloads better. I can at least see everything in them. Still need more to organize powders and tools so I can find them too. My work tops get very cluttered with several different jobs and projects going at the same time. My old car parts for restoration get in the way of my gun work and vice versa. Too many projects, so little time!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts