Shooters Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, whacky thought of the day. I was thinking of building an elevated deer stand that would allow me to shoot prone. Anyone ever think of this?

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Before you do that, you should lay on the floor for several hours in a prone position and see how you like it. It could get quite uncomfortable holding your head up like that for that long.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I had a brain fart many years ago and built a box stand that I could sit in the floor cross legged. I could build it shorter using less wood and it would be easier to hide. I put carpet in the floor for padding.

I used to sit cross legged all day in Kindergarten so sure I could do it for a few hours while hunting. WRONG!!!! It was not bad for the first hour and then my butt started to hurt and my legs went to sleep. By hour two I had to get out. I managed to kill a few deer out of it but it was horrible to sit there more than a couple of hours.

I could not imagine laying there looking up the entire time. Sounds like it would be comfortable but I am sure it would not be after a while.

Darin

·
Registered
573 Posts
Darin sounds like hunting from a vc tiger cage. No offence intended to anyone who's seen the inside of one. Just sounds down right uncomfortable . As for a lay down stand how high do you expect to hang it. Offully hard to imagine being able to shoot effectively below the plane of the floor from prone.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
I knew a guy who used to "hunt" from the loft of an old hay barn. He had his rifle set up on the floor and a small orchard 250 yards out. He'd sit there in a comfy chair, reading a book while waiting for the deer to come out and start tearing up his little trees. When they showed up, he would lay down on a pad that was already laid out and shoot a deer.

If I had an elevated blind with a setup that allowed me to remain comfortably in the prone position while waiting...I would be asleep in 20 minutes, tops. :D

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Heh... we (still) have an old two-horse trailer out on the farm overlooking a bottom field. It stays there almost all the time... it gets used sometimes. Inside you'll find a comfy chair and the door on the trailer has pipe insulation on the metal for a good gun rest. Roof over your head to keep the rain out, and plenty good visibility all around. I have no idea how many deer have been taken out of that thing... a lot, though. Just be careful and don't knock around inside since it's all metal.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Maybe you could just throw some corn in your back yard and shoot out the bedroom window when they come by, lol. Actually I know some who do.

Hey, seriously, inovations that create a new product have to start somewhere. I would like a tent over my treestand if I had one so the rain and wind and cold would stay out. Probably no bottom in the tent or else I would end up hanging in a bag from a tree if I ever fell.

Shooting prone would work but falling asleep would be a problem. So would seeing down from prone position. Also prone would require a 6 foot platform in every direction. Maybe some shooting sticks would work for a smaller platform with a chair.

I thought of an electric wire hoist with a metal chair attached and you just ride the chair up and fasten it to a tree. Easy up and easy down except how do you get down if the hoist fails or stops.

·
Registered
670 Posts
My rivised box stands have office chairs in them. Very comfortable. 4x4 wtih a tin roof.

And the post about shooting deer out of the back window, I know many people that do that. One of my buddies sent me a text the other day of a picture of a deer he shot in his back yard. He was getting out of the shower and saw the deer eating acorns in the pasture. He grabbed the gun and headed out the front door with a towel wrapped around him. When it got time to shoot he had to let go of the towel. He said it was the first deer he ever shot while naked.

Darin

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, shot one a couple of years ago using the Bradford Pear tree behind our bedroom as a prop. I was thinking of a 6'-8' elevated position over a field out back. I have a barn with a loft, but the loft door is looking over the wrong direction.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Call me an old fuddy-duddy, but the notion of being TOO comfortable while hunting doesn't resonate well with me. If I don't get a little cold and if my muscles don't get sore from walking or sitting too long...heck, I might as well be back at the house, watching TV. I don't even hunt from a ground blind unless the weather is NASTY, which is usually the perfect day to not hunt, anyway. :D

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
That's why I never got used to those who sit in the heated box blinds here...until I sat in one...heck with that freezing :D

·
Registered
865 Posts
There used to be a climbing type stand called a tree lounge. You climbed with it as usual while straddling the canvas "lounge" part, then got yourself onto the lounge and reclined. Looked like something to fall out of to me. I don't think it's sold any more. Goat

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
There used to be a climbing type stand called a tree lounge. You climbed with it as usual while straddling the canvas "lounge" part, then got yourself onto the lounge and reclined. Looked like something to fall out of to me. I don't think it's sold any more. Goat
My uncle had one... he said it was too comfortable... he'd always get in it and fall asleep.

·
Registered
45 Posts
We had a prone stand on our property for a year or two. Not on purpose. We built the thing overlooking a great spot just before the season opened. It is in a tree with a 16' x 10' platform and had a trap door for acess. It wasnt supposed to be a prone stand but nobody remembered to bring a chair for a long time!

I think some of the other guys have it about right. If you want to shoot prone get a small chair and sit down till its time to shoot. Belive me, laying prone is nothing like laying in bed. It hurts after about 30 min.

Good Luck!!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I built mine with the lowest point of the ceiling 2 inches taller than I am. It has a slopped roof. 4 inches of fall across 7 1/2 feet.. ..
my 2 cents

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
8,310 Posts
Sounds interesting, but wouldn't you call it a deer-lay, not stand?:D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts