Shooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is now OOOOficial. First Jack O'Connor said so. I said so. Now Craig Boddington has said so. The ULTIMATE DEER CARTRIDGE:
.270 WINCHESTER

·
Registered
416 Posts
Jack O'Connor - A nice guy, although somewhat misguided.

You - I don't know.

Craig Boddington - Well, if he says so, then that caps it. Time to trade off my .270.:p

DC

·
Registered
471 Posts
Id say the 300 Savage Model 99 is the best deer rifle ever made for deer and elk. Savage a man ahead of his time. Aim small hit small. RAMbo.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,948 Posts
Ya know..........

I've owned just about every commercial cartridge that could be chambered - EXCEPT the .270 Win. Seems the game taken never knew I was supposed to be using the .270!

Not knocking it - just never had a use for it.

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,465 Posts
I had a 270 years ago. What they claim is true...it's flat shooting, but didn't impress me much. Sold it for another .308.

·
Super Moderator
3,375 Posts
My first higg-powered rifle was a custom .270 built on a Mauser action, Douglas barrel, Timney trigger, Bishop stock, all the goodies one could want in a custom rifle. Killed quite a few deer with the rifle, but found, later on in life, that my guidance by Jack O'Connor was somewhat one sided, and since moving to other cartridges and somewhat larger bores for everything, have found that the .270 wasted more good venison than with game harvested the last 20 years with a plethora of other rounds combined! Yep, it puts deer down with authority, but it's no all around elk gun. Because of elk hunting I laid down the .270 for other rounds.

Just my experience. Not wanting to detract from the proponents of the .270 Winchester, as it's imminently popular in this country, and must be doing the job right for many folks.

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
186 Posts
I worked as a butcher for 10 years, and am mainly a meat hunter, so that is why I dislike the .270. The speed and the light constuction of the 130 grain bullets most use destroy far too much meat. I think th .30-06 for the open country and the .30-30 for the bush, are far better than the .270. The .270 using 150g bullets might be better too.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey fellas, I was not really serious with the comment on the 270. I do have one and like and use it but would not seriously say it is ultimate for anything. I read Craig Boddingtons article in the September issue of Guns and Ammo. I get very tired of articles proclaming an "ultimate deer rifle". No such thing exists. But I do not get tired of listening to guys like ya'll hash it out. It usually brings about more arguement than this. Marshall, in response to your comment, it is a dream of mine to go west and elk hunt. Maybe someday. But the 270 will stay at home.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,948 Posts
I'll agree, Crookedshot - there is no such thing as the PERFECT deer rifle. Just depends on the situation and the shooter.

As has been stated many times by a host of others, if one cartridge could be called the all-round perfect one, I'd have to vote for the 30-06.

In the West, the .338 Win Mag and the 30-06 still hold out as the most used elk cartridges. I've taken them with as little as a 7x57 AI shooting 175 gr bullets, but that's not to say I would recommend it for everyday usage on elk. With the advent of all the Ultra Mag's, Super Mag's, Short Mag's, etc, the referenced cartridges may take a beating in popularity in the future.

·
Banned
585 Posts
kdub is correct. I wouldnt hunt an elk out here with a weenie round. I would argue that my .338/.378 Weatherby is the finest elk gun made :D

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
The .270 is the best deer round, eh Craig.

Must have never met the .25/06. Thats too bad. Thats all I own and I have killed many deer, elk, antelope, black bears, mountain lions, a mountain goat, and a turkey.

The only critter I won't use it on again is the turkey.

I think that the .243 and .257 Roberts and .257 Roberts Improved (or is it Ackley) are far better deer guns as well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My 1st deer was taken with an old Winchester model 70 in 30-06 so I have to vote for that. But the 270 seems to work, I personally just think it's a fad though. LOL

1 - 13 of 13 Posts