Shooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could someone tell me if dillon .45 LC dies are ok to use to reload .454 casull ? I'm not new to reloading but I am new to the .454 casull. I load on a dillon 650 and have had no porblems at all for eight years. I called dillon customer service and was told to use the .45LC dies to load the .454 casull. Later I read on freedom arms web site that you shold never use anything but dies made for .454 casull. Freedom arms say's that the die specs are different , can any one tell me which dies work best for .454 casull round on a dillon press?
thanks taz:confused:

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Let me start off by noting that I do not have experience with the 454 Casull. What I do know is that the pressures/velocity of the Casull is only possible because of the tight tolerance and strength of the firearms produced for it. The Freedom Arms revolvers allow tremendous performance out of the 45LC with good brass life because of the tight chamber tolerance. Likewise, my 45LC Bisley also offers performance signifigantly above 44 Magnum loads, but with terrible case life unless the cases are only "neck sized" which entails resizing only the portion of the case that holds the bullet. I would suspect the the casing dimensions for the Casull is tighter and more precise than the huge variance of dimensions that are found in the 45LC, which are not even limited to one bullet diameter. If I where you, I would spend the money to ensure that your casings are being properly sized to ensure they match up with the internal dimensions of the seating die, which are also important, to ensure the bullets are being alligned perfectly with the case body. It seems like "how much could it be off in a straight wall case?", but in my experience it can be signifigant. If you have a RCBS Case Master tool, or something similar, you can measure alarming bullet runout, and corresponding "case runout", with a straight wall pistol or rifle casing if the dies are incorrect. I have looked at this in the 45LC since the cases are sized a tremendous amount because of the vastly oversized chambers of the Ruger revolver. A properly resized and reloaded straight wall pistol round should have virtually no runout.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
.454 dies

I agree with you and have already place a set of hornaday 454 dies on order. I dont know if that will make that much of a difference or not but I will feel better with the right dies. I have never had this problem before and I've loaded .45ACP , .45LC , .40S&W , .30-06 , .223 and now .454 Casull. Dillon dies have always worked great for me , and Dillon customer service still swears that .45Lc dies load ,454 Casull just fine. It might be the dies Im not sure but I'll put the hornaday in and see what happens.
Thanks for the input Taz:)

·
Banned
24 Posts
Looking at the specs in several current references it has the OD on the .45LC as .480, and the .454 as .478. .002 probably wouldn't make a lot of difference, as sized cases for my .357 resize to a wider range than that depending on the manufacturer.

But a tight .454 chamber with an open .45LC die could easily be a problem

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,300 Posts
My RCBS .45 Colt sizing die measures 0.466"! I did NOT expect it to be anywhere near that tight, but had never gotten around to measuring it.

One thing that I noticed is that it does not reduce the case diameter this much all the way down to the case head. The largest diameter of a resized case measured 0.477" just above the web of the case. So, it could be marginal in a tight .454 chamber.

It would certainly appear to do the job on .454 brass that had only been fired in a standard .454 chamber, but might not resize the case enough if it had been fired in an oversized chamber.

·
Banned
4 Posts
Your 45 colt dies should work fine for the 454. Have been using lee 45 colt dies for 9 years to reload my 454 cases for 2 different model 83s and the last 3 for a super redhawk.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I use the RCBS 454 carbide dies because Freedom Arms said it's better to do it that way.
I've used RCBS 45 Colt and RCBS 454 dies in loading for the 454 Casull. The main advantage of the 454 dies is the taper crimp vs rolled crimp on the 45 Colt dies. This makes a difference when loading for max velocity/pressure in preventing bullet creep.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I used my RCBS 45 LC dies until I got my Hornady dies in! It worked fine. If I remember correct I didn't try to full lenght size them? In a pinch I don't see why you couldn't use them.

·
Banned
816 Posts
45 Colt Dies work fine, Thats all i use, and I full length size them. Have been using tehm for about 2 years no, no problems. Les

1 - 10 of 10 Posts