Shooters Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to solve an issue with a friends STI 9mm pistol. It's a DVC Open model, and I have zero experience with these pistols.... What the prob is, is it fails to cycle properly when firing 9mm minor ammo. He has an eight pound recoil spring installed right now, and is thinking a heavier spring would help... My thought though, is that a lighter spring would allow the slide to cycle more positively, vs a heavier (say 12 lb) spring would. He says he's been told a heavier spring is whats needed. That doesn't make sense to me, but as I said, I know nothing of these competition pistols or the difference in 9mm major vs 9mm minor ammo performance differences.

It doesn't extract/eject the spent case, so I can't imagine a stronger spring offering more resistance to the same ammunition as working out. But I've been wrong before, what do yall think?

S_B

·
Registered
865 Posts
If it won't cycle now, it sure won't with a heavier spring. I'm not familiar with the term "minor ammo" but I presume you mean very light loads. GW

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, the terms minor and major ammo are used to describe the different loads used for competition shooting. I know nothing about them either, really, only what my friend has told me. But he did say that the minor ammo he's using that is jamming, is 'standard' 9 mm loads, and has a lighter bullet at less velocity than the major ammo.... which is why it makes NO SENSE to me that a stronger spring would fix the issue.

But since I know so little of this niche of our shooting sports, I wanted to post up here and see what you all had to say, surely someone out here is familiar with this pistol and the ammo.

Thanks for your time man, I see it like you do. Best wishes

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Look for peening of the frame where the slide bottoms out on it's rearward stroke. The slide bottoms out and moves metal enough to bind the barrel. Tho most modern 1911 style pistols have a bevel cut to alleviate this battering.

Also check the slide stop, see if it is hitting the barrel lugs when the barrel drops down.

Call STI for their recommendation on spring weight for that load.

·
Registered
516 Posts
How many rounds are through the gun?

Failure to extract and failure to eject are 2 totally dif failure.

On a failure to extract the case stays in the chamber.

On a failure to eject, it leaves the chamber but stays in the gun.

A long-slide 1911 will run w/9mm ammo. But I had trouble getting a 5" 9mm to run on 147grn ammo.

Minor ammo is a light load and Major is a heavy load. Depending on what his slide and scope weigh, then he may have to use major ammo.

The MSRP on that gun is $3.700. DVC Open « STI Guns Tell him to call STI and see what they say. For that much money, it should run. If he has problems, tell them (STI) that Springfield makes guns that will run.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replys friends. My friend called STI, and they told him what I had.... that the lighter spring is what should cure the ejecting problem. It was that the rounds weren't extracting/ejecting due to a heavy spring for a light load he was shooting....

I was sure I was giving good advice to him, but always like checking here, you guys rock. The amount of knowledge here and helpful advice I've gotten - and tried to return, humble as my attempts are- here have been invaluable. And are invaluable to many.

Thanks again, S_B

1 - 6 of 6 Posts