Shooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've finally decided to upgrade from my triangle cutout cardboard box cleaning station, even thought I think it works quite well. I have a brass cleaning rod and don't plan on using it anymore. Help wanted on what to buy.

Can anyone recommend a good, cleaning station? Also, what do people think about these rods vs the dewey rods?

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...ct&cmCat=Related_IPL_221346&id=0061265229536a

I also need to get a full kit of compatible jags and brushes, and do people like sinclair' bore guides? do you think they are needed with a coated cleaning rod?

·
Banned
1,398 Posts
This is one area where opinions will be all over the chart. Personally I use a stainless steel one piece rod made by Pro Shot. If one listens to the experts that's a no no. It should be a coated rod because you'll damage the rifling. But your not supposed to use a soft rod like brass or aluminum because particles will become imbedded in the soft metal and act like sandpaper abrading your barrel/rifling with every stroke. Well folks that coated rod will also allow particles to imbed in the coating and do the same thing as will carbon rods. What's one to do?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is one area where opinions will be all over the chart. Personally I use a stainless steel one piece rod made by Pro Shot. If one listens to the experts that's a no no. It should be a coated rod because you'll damage the rifling. But your not supposed to use a soft rod like brass or aluminum because particles will become imbedded in the soft metal and act like sandpaper abrading your barrel/rifling with every stroke. Well folks that coated rod will also allow particles to imbed in the coating and do the same thing as will carbon rods. What's one to do?
What's one suppose to do? Clean less frequently I suppose. The best hunter I know cleans his rifles only if they have been shot quite a bit, over 50-60 shots. It ends up being about once a year.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
I use the Otis system and Bore Snakes. I like both of them for their simplicity and effectivness and speed. Neither will damage your rifeling.

·
Banned
1,398 Posts
I have the Otis cleaning kit and use it on occassion. Unfortunately it has draw backs as most cleaning systems have. It is a coated cable that is pulled through the bore from the muzzle end. Works very well but still have the potential for particles to embed in the soft cable coating. Major problem with it is you cannot use it to remove a stuck cartridge case like you can with a cleaning rod.

Bore snakes work very well if certain precautions are taken in use and storage. Since using them entails pulling them through the bore and dirty bore products are retained in the bore snake it is necessary to wash often for removal. Big problem occurs when one breaks in the bore. They can be removed but risk of bore damage is possible depending on method of removal.

Cleaning bores will always have potential for damage occurring whether by improper cleaning methods, equipment or operator lack of knowledge.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is depressing. I am truly afraid of hurting my rifles. I guess I will just be a minimalist, and clean very carefully when I do with a coated rod.

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
J, I would say put your mind at ease. Buy a one-piece stainless or coated rod and you'll be fine. Make sure your patch loops, jags, and brushes fit well when screwed onto the end of the rod. Wipre your rod down each time you pull it out of the bore, to remove any particles on it. Use good cleaning solutions (I use Montana Xtreme Copper Killer and Butch's Bore Shine) and lots of patches.

I really don;t think you'll harm your bore if you give a little attention when cleaning. We fire lead and copper jacketed projectiles (all of them over-sized for the bore) down the rifle at anywhere between 1600 and 4200 feet per second. On top of that, fire, flame, and brimstone are chasing the projectile down the barrel. We do this over and over, and over again. Now....with a little care and attention... are we to believe that a brush and patches, along with some solvent, applied lovingly to our rifles every 20 or 30 rounds or so, are going to harm them? I don;t think so......

·
Registered
7,701 Posts
No real "rocket science" in my thinking. Gentle as I can do, with whatever tool I may have in any situation. The cleaning goes from breech to muzzle. Pulling "whatever tool" back the other way is not an option!

For example; I wont pull a brush back from the muzzle. I will take it off at the muzzle and extract the rod,re-attach it and push it through again (after wiping clean). All should go "downstream" I believe.

I don't own a boresnake (yet). I have gifted a few though. I wonder some about the second pass with this tool? Maybe is not needed?

A clean,stainless, one-piece rod with a "just-right" sized patch is my prefered method.

Cheezywan

1 - 12 of 12 Posts