Shooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't have a gun safe and the ones I would like to get cost alot of $$$. I picked up a couple of the silicone impregnated gun socks and covered my rifles with them. I wiped my rifles down real good with a Hoppes silicone cloth and put them in the gun sock. The only place I can store them is in a hard gun case. Is it ok to put them in a silicone gun sock and store them in a gun case?

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
Keep them open to the air at the very least. Even a $99 steel safe would be better than nothing.

·
Banned
1,398 Posts
I've found with my firearms collection that anything coming into contact with metal surfaces must be of natural fiber construction i.e. cotton or wool. Anything made of plastics, foam (form of plastics), silicons, teflon and other man made products tend to cause/promote rust especially the foams. Foams that are approaching forty years old will crumble when touched. I've found foams made recently that are doing the same in less than five years. Probably has something to do with enviromental drive and bio-degradability. The breakdown most definately is not good for firearms long term storage.

Most of my firearms are stored in gun cases from Cabelas made from cotton duck canvas with a quilted cotton interior, brass zipper and leather trimmings. Since I began using this combo have not had a single firearm damaged either by rust or handling during transportation to gun shows where I display portions of my collection.

My gun safe was purchased at a going out of business hardware store sale. It was an old double door safe about three feet wide by two feet deep and about six feet tall. It will hold nearly a hundred pistols, rifles and shotguns when packed right. What most individuals don't understand is there are ways of placing firearms in gun safes which will double and potentially triple the storage capcaity over the manufacturers claimed capacity.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,917 Posts
UTGrad -

Would you please stop asking the same question on different forums on the board?

Once is enough. You have the same thing asked in the Rifles and Rifle Cartridges forum. Double posting results in one of them being deleted by the Moderators.

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
Hailstone, I would like to learn some of those storage tricks. I have a 12-gun safe with about 8 or 9 rifles in there, and I already want another safe! It's not jam packed, but it's super-cramped and a hassle getting out a rifle even if it's only the thrid one deep, as an example.

·
Banned
1,398 Posts
Actually using some of these tricks makes getting firearms out harder because of the way there packed. Most safes are set up for accessibility of the contents not maximum storage. Its a trade off -- more storage less accessibility and vice versa.

First step is to remove any racks used, place all shotguns or rifles without scopes in back row. Next place another row of firearms with the barrels down in between butt stocks of first row with barrels tops to the front and butt stocks away from you. In my safe the first row contains eleven firearms and the next contains ten firearms. I might add that I use the canvas gun cases for protection during this phase. Repeat the procedure for next row but here you can use scoped rifles. Usually will get three double rows in my safe. Next the shorter rifles can be layes horizontally on top of the other firearms. My safe had several rows of drawers which holds all my pistols. Some drawers will only hold couple large frame pistols while smaller pistols you can put five or six in a drawer.

Most firearms wll need 2 7/8" minimum width for storage with semi-autos and pump shotguns needing more while some single shots will use less. I figure 3" for a rough estimate of capacity per row. Some commerical setups have over 3 1/2" per firearm between there rack openings which is fine for all semi-autos but useless if you have large number of single shots.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Keep them open to the air at the very least. Even a $99 steel safe would be better than nothing.
I agree totally with Matt. Anything is better than nothing. I do not recommend storing weapons in a case, this has led to disappointment in every situation.

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
I've read before about certain foams emitting chemicals as they slowly degrade which will rust guns. Frankly, I never believed it. Recently, I bought a quality rifle remotely and the seller went and bought a new (super-cheap) foam-lined hard case in which to ship it to my FFL. In the course of the 3 days it was in that box and being transported, several areas of significant rust started. Fortunately, it was brand new rust and I was able to easily remove and stop it, but the point is that I will not store anything in foam every again.

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
Even in this dry climate and low year round humidity, I've NEVER had a gun rust in my safe, but every gun I've kept in the foam case has developed some rust.

·
Registered
7,701 Posts
I can mention one rifle here, and how I have stored it over the years here in Iowa.

Has been deep cleaned.

Has been well oiled.

Has been "put-up" in a silicone "gun-sock" in the floor joyces (sp) of my home for near 20 years now.

Last inspection was near 4 years ago.

I can report that the firearm is fine and ready for duty.
The "gun-sock" is dusty and ready for retirement.

I have kept the dirt/dust away and allowed moisture to escape al natural me thinks?

Cheezywan

·
Registered
52 Posts
I still use the old freezer as an "invisible" gun safe. It locks, it has fire-proofing & I keep a cheap dehumidifier plugged in. Makes a reason for the cord to be plugged in the wall, along with the light!

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Just dont put much oil in the bore and then store standing. The oil runs down and stains the stock. Run a couple dry patches thru the bore after the oily one.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts