Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
"Bad Joke Friday" Dan (moderator emeritus)
7,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you that have not read the October "Guns & Ammo", thought a couple exerpts from the article "Proving the Power Factor" by Col. Craig Boddington might be of interest.

"Over the years, I've shot a lot of bears with larger, slower cartridges--and others with fast cartridges from .270 to .30. Either way, provided a good bullet is placed in the right spot, the result is a dead bear. However, I am convinced there is a difference. Most of the bears I have shot in the vitals with cartridges from .270 to .308 have taken fatal bullets and run with them. Most of the bears I have taken with bigger, slower cartridges have dropped...and most of them have stayed put. "

"I can't prove it, and there is not formula to properly explain it. But I know, absolutely know, that any of my .35's producing as much as 1,000 ft-lbs. less, would have caused a more dramatic reaction."

"Dead is dead, and that Vancover Island bear wasn't going snywhere. Still, the issue is this: That bear received a bullet in the chest cavity that was carrying pretty close to 3,500 ft-lbs. on impact. There was very little reaction to all that power. I've seen many bears of similar size bowled over with similar shot placement from larger calibers carrying less energy."

Dan

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Strange as it may seem....Marshall and I were talking about this same thing, at length, on the telephone last night!!!!
Boddington is one of the "good heads" still around! There are not many left that are not pushing the factories latest Whiz Bangs! Many meat shooters, myself inclunded, have pondered for years the factors in External Ballistics and bullet designs that have always been proven game killers. There are many theories, but nome completlely prove out.
The last time we approached this subject, I discussed a test we used in 1972. At that time we set up a chrono, then a gel test block, and then another chrono. We could measure the velocity lost in the gel block between the two clocks. Since velocity was lost its energy went somewhere. That's where the arguements started. I called it Energy Deposit, for the lack of another word. The Howling and Gnashing of teeth was unreal. So.....care must be taken when this can of worms is opened!
However, Dan, it's a good post and if you would like to discuss the results of those test, contact me. Best Regards, James

·
"Bad Joke Friday" Dan (moderator emeritus)
7,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
James,

I've found it prudent to go with "experience over formulas".  If the Stanton/Gates/Boddington experience indicates certain types of bullets have a more significant impact on game, contrary to ft-lb formulas, I know which road I'm traveling. It reminds me of the article about the 1500yd shot with the 50-90 Sharps rifle that the scientists said didn't happen -- can't be done, calculations "proved it". As I remember the article, the first "controlled test" shots went over 3000 yds.  I learned (undergraduate in Physics) that when my formula's predicted results didn't match actual results, I took another look at the formula.

Dan

·
Super Moderator
3,365 Posts
Hmmmm....

Buffalo nearly wiped out on this continent... .45-70's, 38-55's, .40-82's, no 340 Weatherby's, no .338 Remington Ultra Magnums.

Kind of makes one think.....

God Bless,

Marshall

1 - 4 of 4 Posts