Shooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After weeks of thinking I've finally decided on buying a Taurus for my first gun and I'm very happy with my purchase. Since it fits in my pocket, I carry it wherever I go and makes me feel safer. It made me really happy that I wanna but another one. But this time, I want something that can stop a man with one shot. Therefore, I've decided on buying a 45ACP pistol. I've narrowed down my search to 2 pistols, the PT945, which is also made by Taurus and the 1911, either made by Norinco or Shooters Arms Manufacturing. By the way, weight and size is not an issue here. Like what I said in my previous post, I always wear a jacket so I can easily conceal either of the two in shoulder rig. Which do you think is the better pistol?

·
Registered
350 Posts
My regular carry gun is a 1911 type single action auto pistol and I have another full 1911 type that I shoot regularly. I also own a double/single action auto that I like but I have to say I like the single action much better.
If I could find a full 1911 in 40 S&W I would probably swap the double/single action for it.
My point on Sig or Kimber has to do with quality and reliability, they are the best IMHO.
good luck

·
Registered
955 Posts
I'd recommend the Taurus PT945, between the guns you mentioned. I suspect the 1911s you mentioned are the old standard, which won't be likely to do well with hollow points. The 945 is a modern design and should be fine with them.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd recommend the Taurus PT945, between the guns you mentioned. I suspect the 1911s you mentioned are the old standard, which won't be likely to do well with hollow points. The 945 is a modern design and should be fine with them.
Actually, I really don't care if they don't do well with hollow points. I think that 45ACP is already a powerful round and to use hollow points IMO is already overkill. And the reason why I'm considering a Norinco or a SAM is because I intend to customize it, and I heard that they are pretty good base guns.

Now back to the original question. Disregarding the hollow points. Which is simply better? The PT945 or the 1911?

Oh, and by the way, do you think that the SAM Military model or the Norinco M1911A1 has the same quality as the pre war and WW2 1911A1s?

Thanks for your replies guys!

·
Registered
955 Posts
My opinion, which will be in favor of the 945, is based on having played with other archaic semi-auto designs, as well, and having reached the conclusion that the 1911 misses a lot of the great improvements done in the 100 years since it was designed.

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
You will get 1911 guys who will automatically say "No way" to anything but a 1911.

I have owned and carried a Taurus 945. Owned it for 10 years. The one time I couldn't make it go bang, it was after firing 400+ rounds through it at the range without cleaning it.

Accurate, durable, would feed and fire 200-230 grain ball or HP ammo all day long. I sold it to a friend who needed a reliable carry gun. I was slipping back into a "revolver phase". :)
We are still friends. I would buy another one.

I like my 1911's too. They can get really spendy really fast.
Metro Arms makes a very, very good one for a very good price. I'd buy another one of those if I found the model I wanted again. I traded it off for a rifle, but I still have another 1911.

Get what fits YOUR HANDS. Not what some one else tells you to get. If it points like pointing your own finger, and feels like it was made for your hands, then that is the way to go.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts