Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well,

This has been a strange deer season for me here in Alabama. I had decided that this year, my 7 year old boy would be accompanying me to several prime places that I had permission to hunt on around here. I had not hunted much for the last 5 years, mainly because it caused some marital tension as I left my bride at home with two small children to venture forth and commune with nature... I am sure you all can relate.

On the first session, little Mr Ants-In-His-Pants kept fidgeting and moving around, until we heard a big,deep grunt upwind of us near a nice green field. His eyes became as large as dinner plates, as he proudly told me he thought that this was a BIG buck. Sure enough, the wary critter kept semi-circling us, trying to see if his suspicions were correct. After an hour or so, he started moving toward the green field again. At that time, Mr Itchy Pants moved a bit, and a HUGE dirt clod hit the ground and exploded from about 20 ft up in the air...

Of course, all deer activity ceased for the time being. After a bit, the deer began trying to circle downwind of us in earnest. He finally made it about 100 yds south of us in a thicket, and locked down tight. At that time, another dirt clod liberated itself, and Mr Deer high-tailed it for less disturbed locales.

Trip two with young Mr Pre-Huntsman found us on the edge of one field in a 5000 acre commercial farm that is intensively managed for feed corn, cotton, etc., and lots of fallow fields planted in winter rye. They grow big deer, too.

Daddy broke the cardinal rule, in not having his Sprout thoroughly empty his bladder before we went afield. We made it into a large shooting house in a great place to see lots of animals. Things went along just swell until about 45 minutes before dusk. I noticed that my son, Daniel, was getting a little fidgety, and I softly whispered that he needed to remain still until dark so we could harvest a fat doe for the freezer. He seemed OK, until 15 minutes later when, after hearing alot of commotion, I turned to him and saw his face contorted into the most awful, painful grimmace I had seen in years. He was also clutching desperately at the front of his pants, when I realized that he HAD TO GO PEE. Oh man, this outing was finished, too. After we climbed down, we voided our bladders, and watched an Armadillo, as I assured him that this was Daddy's fault, and that we'd do better next time.

Yesterday, I played hooky in the afternoon, and went to a nice place south of Montgomery, and sat on the edge of a thick Cedar-Prairie break, and watched a beautiful Red fox, and towards dusk I harvested a nice, big, fat Doe. Yesterday was the last day of the season, and I almost went deerless. I felt bad that my son was not there with me. But then I realized that when I was 7, I couldn't sit still for 5 minutes, let alone 1 hour and 45 minutes. Although he was not there, I know that we will share many enjoyable hunts together in the future. He has it in him...

And we will ALWAYS go pee before we go a field!

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,966 Posts
Sounds like you still had a good time, Jimmy -

Times will change and you'll find he turns into a first class hunting partner.

Back in the early 60's, my older brother and I decided to take our 8 year old brother on a West Texas deer hunt (we were both in our mid to late 20's). The hunt was an education for the 2 of us in how to entertain, mother, feed and teach youngsters. The 2nd day of the hunt, our Mom and Dad showed up to find out if he was ready to go home. You could tell he had a belly full of rough-out camping and hunting, but with tears in his eyes he told them he would stay with us. Gotta hand it to him for sticking it out.

I shot a small forkhorn that evening. He wasn't too impressed with the results, but thought that ended the trip and was busy packing his stuff up for the trip home. Sure hated to tell him we still had several tags to fill!

He survived the hunt, never asked to go again and ended up as an attorney. Wonder where we went wrong in the education part??

·
Beartooth Regular
2,139 Posts
Hey Jimmy,
Congratulations! That little guy will grow up to be a hunter, I bet. My boy is 10 now and can take the hunter safety course this spring. I'm tickled at the prospect of a new hunting partner!
BTW, I finally read the PM you sent, and replied. Sorry for the delay, I had technical difficulties (Uh, operator error) and didn't get your message til today.

Take care and enjoy that venison! IDShooter

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,229 Posts
Jimmy, you took your boy, that's an important step, hopefully he enjoyed it enough to come back next year.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks...

Yes, I think I have a hunting buddy for sure. I'd rather take him out than go to a real nice place by myself.

We are going to start with 22's this summer. I secretly picked up an 100% Stevens model 15 single shot bolt action, the one with the cocking indicator. He doesn't know it yet, though. I'd never here the end of it if I told him now...

I think I'll really get a chance to use my turret press, and other long-dormant loading equipment for sure. When we get to centrefires, I'll start him with a Marlin 94 in 357 mag, and some 125 grain hollow points at around 1100 - 1200 fps. That gun should be good for 75-80 yard average deer around here, and heck I'll have a great shooter when he finally tires of it.

The best part is that my wife and kids really love eating venison, so I'll have a reason to take him ALOT. <G>

Jimmy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts