Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally decided to make the purchase on a rifle. I ordered a Remington 700 SPS Tactical in .308. It came as a package for $600, includes a BSA Platinum 6x24x44 scope, Harris bipod and a bullet holder sleeve for the butt stock.

I ordered a Leupold 3x9 VXII scope with Weaver rings and weaver base, it was on sale at Cabela's. I'll probably just put the BSA scope on ebay. Are those scopes any good though?

I think I got a pretty good deal on the package and picked up a hard rifle case and some ammo today.

I've read that you should shoot different types of ammo to see which one patterns the best. So I bought a box of Federal Premium 165 grain and a box of Fusion 165 grain to try out at the range. Any other good shelf ammo recommendations for the 700 action?

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
That BSA would live a long happy life on a .308 ! No way would I swap a 24x off for a 9x on a Target rifle.

Edit: Nevermind, I did the same thing. I swapped a 24x Bushnell off my Sendero, and put a 10x Zeiss on it. It seems my hypocrisy knows no bounds !

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
i've never thought much of them... to my knowledge they are just rebranded tasco. beyond that it sounds like you've got the makings of an excellent package ready to assemble.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So you guys are saying BSA Platinum's are decent scopes? I could always put the Leupold on the Winchester model 70 .30-06 my father gave me. It has a very old scope. Possibly a Weaver or Bushnell early models.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have the same scope on my Savage 10FP LE-1, it does good for the price. No it is not a 1300 or 1600 dollar tactical scope. The allen screws holding the caps on will not live long if you really torque them down. Shot it..Was saving for a new scope but ended up with a new gun..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts