Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Does any have one of the new PUMA .454 CASULL Lever Action rifles?

Anyone have information on these rifles?

Is this gun beefed up to handle the .454 CASULL?

Thanks Tim

·
Registered
204 Posts
Tim-

Check out Fireplug's post on the "Winchester '94 in .480 Ruger" thread.  He gives his opinion on the carbine after checking it out at the shot show.

Also, he said that the distributor planned to start shipping the Puma .454's in June.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Anybody have the latest information as to when the new .454 Casull in the Puma 92 is going to be available?

Thanks,
Timberwolf

·
Registered
206 Posts
Thanks Jackfish. I understand that orders to distributors are being processed now. The problem is , they will be sold according to which distributors got the orders in first and so on down the line. Wow...what a wait. Does anyone have a handle on what the "dealer" price to the consumer will be? What do you believe the suggested dealer price to the non-FFL holder will be?

Thanks,
Timberwolf

·
Registered
668 Posts
I saw somewhere that you should be able to get them for about $360-$375.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Can anyone venture a guess as to what the ballistics might be from a 454 Casull launched from a 20" tube?

·
Registered
206 Posts
I was told a bit earlier that the .454 Casull fired in the Puma 20 inch carbine will be more potent in "close end" hunting than the .45-70. Isn't this saying a bit much?

Regards,
Timberwolf

·
Registered
206 Posts
Seems that I read somewhere that the Puma 92 has been "beefed up" to handle the pressure of the .454 Casul. Actually, I was told a few years ago that the Rossi 92 is one of the VERY best lever action rifles made as far as accuracy is concerned. A close friend stated that the Rossi out shoots the Winchester . He said that the Rossi is sometimes a bit rough, but they are accurate for the money and a great buy. Any other opinions on thsi matter?

Thanks,
Timberwolf

·
"Bad Joke Friday" Dan (moderator emeritus)
7,764 Posts
It will be interesting to see the performance and reliability of the new .454 lever action. Over the last several years, I've seen any number of folks asking for a .454 lever action, and the answer was always the same....the lever action can't handle that level of pressure, it can't and wouldn't be done. Maybe that reference was only for the Marlin?

The only reference I've seen about the new rifle was a brief announcement of it's release. I would have thought the manufacturer would have given a few to the better known writers for their review?
Have I missed some review articles?

I suppose I'm just getting old, but for that cheap a price I'll think I'll wait and see what the results are for a couple months (or more).

Dan

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Question:

Will Winchester or Marlin step and add the .454 to there lever actions lines?  Would Winchester or Marlin have to beef-up there rifles to handle  the .454?

I would think that a .454 from a 24" could go over 2000 fps with out any problem.

How much diference functionally would there be between a .454 or Marlin 444?

Tim

·
Registered
668 Posts
Winchester could do it with a reintroduction of the 92 action which is essentially a scaled down 1886.  The Marlin action will not handle 54,000 CUP and you will never see the 454 Casull in a Marlin.

I believe it is unlikely Winchester will do it as they abandoned the 480 Ruger in the 94.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Apparently a USRAC polled gun dealers and they said there would be little market for it.  Why didn't they poll gun owners?  I don't know if they even made any 480 Ruger 94s.

·
Beartooth Regular
5,220 Posts
Thinking about the reasons Winchester decided to drop the 480, seems like manufacturers would have a comment section on their website for customer's to put in a wish list.  Or say they are thinking about introducing some new variant and getting a public response that way.  Kind of like the polls here on the Beartooth.  Invite the shooting public to comment on new projects, seems like it would be an easier and more economical way to keep their pulse on shooting trends.

·
Registered
144 Posts
1 - 20 of 40 Posts