Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I am sort of new to airguns. I have had a couple of inexpensive ones for several years and have used them for varmit control and some target shooting. Nothing real serious but just for fun. I ended giving one of them to my grandson and decided I wanted to buy a new one. I have in the past preferred .22 caliber. I have shot .177's before but just like the .22 better for varmint control. I have a Task Force 99 Premium springer that has been ok. To be honest I haven't shot it that much and it took me awhile to find the right pellet for it. After finding the pellet it prefers accuracy and consistency has much improved. I really like the fixed barrel under leaver rifles but have been unwilling to spend the big bucks as one can buy a really nice centerfire rifle for what many of the air rifles cost.

Anyway, I just got the wants for a new one so I looked for some time, watched numerous videos, and read numerous reviews. I decided on a gas piston this time and went with the Hatsan Proxima in .22. I found it on sale and it also had an additional cyber Friday discount and free shipping so I pulled the preferable trigger. I also found a good deal on what I think will be a decent scope, a UTG 4-16X44 AO with a 30mm tube. Everything should be here by sometime next week. Waiting is the pits!

Registered
That's an interesting looking gun, didn't realize they were made in Turkey. I did a little reading on it and it sounds like a good backyard gun, reasonably accurate, not excessively loud and not overpowered requiring a special backstop. Your gun might be pretty heavy with that scope 10.7 lbs combined? but if your shooting off a rest you won't notice. One thing that would be a deal breaker for me would be the cocking force-45lbs, I had several RWS sidelevers that took 34lbs that were unmanagable after 25 shots. Granted the lever comes down where you can use your body weight instead of to the side but wow...45lbs is alot unless your just shooting a couple of shots or are a really big dude!

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
My scope finally showed up today. I got it mounted and bore sighted. My first shot at 20 yds. was dead center. I shot a magazine full 12 shots and they were all within a 1 1/2" group.

The cocking did take some effort for this old man but I believe I can handle it. I just won't be able to get off a fast follow up shot. With the accuracy I have achieved right off with JSB EXACT Diabolo 18.13gr. pellets I may not need a follow up shot on the varmints I might have to dispatch.

For this pretty much novice to air guns I am currently satisfied. Might consider something different down the road but for now like what I have.

Time to put some pellets down range.

Registered
If you have trouble keeping the scope from moving there's a new mount out on the market that seems pretty revolutionary to the spring gun market, the mount allows the the scope to move then the stop is cushioned instead of abrupt. The reviews are mixed.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I got the new Hatsan Proxima out again to do some shooting. I moved my target out to 30 yards, and after doing some slight scope adjusting I was able to shoot some very consistent 3/4" groups using JSB EXACT Diabolo 18.13 grain pellets. It shoots them so well I am not sure I would want to try another brand or weight.

Kevinbear, I have not had any problem with the scope moving since it has a picatinny type mount and the rings that came with the scope are the picatinny type rings.

I really like the Lepers UTG 4-16X44 AO scope I bought. It is very clear and my bore sighting was so good I hardly had to make any adjustments to get it shooting center of the target bull. In fact I liked it so well I purchased another UTG scope for my other springer rifle. It will have the 1" tube instead of the 30mm tube, however, as It was on sale and the 30mm tube ones were not. It will be a big improvement over the cheap scope I now have on that particular rifle.

I am finding this air rifle stuff a lot of fun.

Registered
JSB pellets are tough to beat, I shoot the 13.43gr exact monster pellets in my guns.
Typical 50yd group, a couple went over the top but the rest are head shots on rodents. Those hit really hard at 50yds, good shots on pd's drop them instantly, tree squirrels don't stand a chance. That's a full magazine group 13 shots, 27 ft lbs of energy at the muzzle and at 50yds the velocity is still 792fps with 18.72 ft lbs of energy. Heavy for caliber pellets in a 177 gun are pretty amazing.

Registered
old Sharidan 5mm here

The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
Have a few air guns. An Old Benjamin .177/bb pump springer that's almost as old as I am, a Dana Mod 54 side lever springer in .177, a newer Crossman .177 CO2 rotary magazine and a Umax bb semi/full auto assault style carbine . Only using the last two for pest control anymore - can't quite handle the 40 -45 lb cocking of the Dana anymore and the Benjamin just sits in the corner so they're both on the removal listr if anyone is interested.

Registered
I have weakness for vintage Benjamin 132's and 137's, these are 1971 to 1974, one is new in the box, another is new w/o box. Plus a few that can be shot if someone is feeling nostalgic.

The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
All mine are rifles. Think there's still a Benjamin pump pistol around somewhere that Airguns of Arizona wouldn't repair because of age and lack of parts. Oh, yes - did find the Crossman pump handgun that's still workable, but no longer used.

Registered
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
This is what the new Hatsan looks like with the new Leapers scope mounted. I will admit the rifle is heavy with the scope mounted. It is almost as heavy as my Sharps with a 30" heavy barrel. I am guessing somewhere between 11 and 12 pounds. It makes for real steady bench shooting. I haven't yet tried to shoot it off hand.

Registered
Nice looking gun, how sensitive is it to your hold? I would guess it's not to bad being pretty heavy, light springers change poi pretty bad with different holds.The adjustable comb is a pretty nice feature.

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
The first target is a 7 shot group from 30 yds. Before attempting to adjust the trigger. The second target is a 10 shot group and I was adjusting the trigger between the first five shots. I found what I think is the sweet spot and my last 5 shots are the ones low touching and just under the bull. It is a 2" sticky target. Not too shabby for an old shaky fart.

Registered
Good enough for just about any rodent that gets in the backyard, it'll be interesting to see how it does on tree squirrels. If it gets a legitimate 720 from that pellet your gold.... probably as low as 600 will work. Much lower than that and you'll have to keep your shots inside 20yds which isn't a problem normally.
I had a RWS 48 in 25 caliber that chrongraphed 525fps at the muzzle, the low velocity and large frontal area of the pellet made it a squirrel bruiser, it wouldn't kill them though, wouldn't penetrate there hide.
That's good accuracy from a spring gun, congratulations you'll have fun with it.

Registered
Those two high left shots don't belong in the group, you probably pushed the back of the gun with your cheek or thumbed the pistol grip that is if your right handed.

Registered
Discussion Starter #16
Kevinbear, I was playing with and adjusting the trigger pressure on those two shots. If I remember correctly I had adjusted the trigger to where it required more finger pressure to get the trigger to break on those two shots. I readjusted after those two shots to require less pressure and my group tightened up.

I found that adjusting the trigger on the Hatsan a bit confusing. I still wish it were a bit lighter but I am not sure I have the proper understanding of how to get it there if one can.

I watched a video and the guy in the video stated that if you do not know what you are doing you can make the gun where it will not fire and then you have to send it to the factory or find a gunsmith that works on air guns to fix it. I don't want to make that mistake so I am not going to mess with it. It just isn't nearly as good a trigger as my Sharps rifles or my traditional muzzleloading rifles. I can adjust them down to a very crisp break of less than 2 lbs.

Registered
Discussion Starter #19
Does it have alot of over travel or creep? Or is it just to hard to pull?
It is just hard to pull, and yes it is like the trigger in the video but it has the set screw he said he was missing. I believe the one he said was missing is the one that adjusts the amount of pressure required to pull the trigger. the more it is screwed in the harder it is to pull the trigger. I have backed it out as far as it will go and the trigger still requires around 5 pounds to pull the trigger. I want it lighter.

Registered
I have not seen a schematic of the trigger but normally simply replacing the spring with a longer but lighter wired spring should do it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts