Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I hope this is the right place for this question. I am looking into a replacement stock for my rifle and think I have found what I'm looking for.

The stock has raised side panels, that are to the right and left of the magazine. Do they serve a purpose, or was that purely cosmetic? It seems to me they may give a little more space in the magazine, is that usable space?

Marc

·
Banned
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a Siamese Mauser 45-70 conversion. It is currently in a Kevlar stock, I want to get a wood stock for it. The one I found that I like has the raised side panels, I'm kind of curious why they are there.

·
Banned
484 Posts
If the raised side panels are over the magazine well, they will make the stock stronger at one of its weakest points. But they are probably there for looks.

·
Banned
47 Posts
Many of the old european sporting rifles had stocks like that. Usually along with more slender profiles out towards the front of the stock from there finishing in a schnabel fore end. If I remember correctly the actions before the 98 mauser didn't have the 98's recoil cross bolt so the extra wood there would have added extra strength. There are 98's and others with the raised side panels that have no need for the extra wood but they are nice to look at and they fit the hand well.

·
Banned
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Too bad they don't offer more space in the magazine, but what really let me to that stock was that I really like the look of it. Added strenth is a real bonus as well, of course.

This stock is described by the manufacturer as a traditional German stock, and it is just like wyoman suspected.

I'm not sure if this will work, but I'll try to add either a picture of link.

Too bad, I can't get the picture in here, it won't let me paste it, and when I try to insert it asks for a URL (???).

Marc

1 - 9 of 9 Posts