Shooters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
do you fellas put your mark on your guns..sure ive got a list of my sn s ..
but each gun has my mark..
i guess my idea is if they remove the sn.. the gun will have this mark
on it and i can tell the police where to look if they recovered one like mine..slim
ps i know..chances of recovery ,, are slim an none but at least i made the effort..the thief has done the hardest part..he lived through stealing my gun..:)

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
That's an interesting question...I guess I've always done my best to NOT put marks on my guns. :) Then again, if one was ever stolen and recovered, knowing something very specific about a mark on it would make positive ID and ownership easy to establish.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I remove the butt pad on the stock and engrave my name with the month and year. Its always been more a a nostalgia thing for me. I have the sn#,s of both the rifles and scopes along with any identifying marks recorded. As slim points out it may be important if the thief survives the encounter. Chances are they would have to take the entire safe and good luck with that.

Good luck
GF

·
Banned
1,404 Posts
Back in the seventies they had a marking program for rural areas called "Operation Identification". You basically did what slim is doing making a mark somewhere only you knew. In this case you worked in cooperation with your local sheriff. A special number was assigned nationally to only you and you gave your SSN to the sheriff for registering. Don't know if it's still being done but was good idea at the time. Some crook stealing piece of farm or construction equipment its easy to stamp the number somewhere on the equipment where it would be overlooked and not removed. If memory serves it was instrumental in the conviction of quite a few crooks.

·
Registered
7,852 Posts
I understand the concept here, but I've very concerned about putting any type of mark on a gun, that's foreign. It will certainly effect the value of a true classic gun. And I suppose I own more guns that I'd choose to simply pass down at this point; meaning some may be sold for their value, rather than passed on. I recently discussed a rider for my guns with my insurance carrier and was a bit surprised at what I found out.

Most carriers (and policies) will not cover guns (or jewelry for that matter) over a certain amount, without a special rider. The amount covered under a typical homeowners policy is likely far less than most gun owners might guess. I'd suggest anyone with more than a couple guns check into their policy and see.

I don't mean to hyjack this thread, only to mention something I recently learned myself.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,131 Posts
Just had the floor plate on my grandson's Swede 6.5x55 hunting rifle engraved with his name and the date. Just finished a new stock for it, cold blued the barreled action and installing a Cock-on-Opening bolt sleeve. Felt this would complete the overhaul for the little guy. He gets to see it and shoot it when he and Mom come to visit on Spring Break.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Ken, that's probably THE best way. Very nice!

TnHunter, ditto on that insurance info. Most basic homeowner's policies cover $5000.00. I've had an insurance rider in place for years now just because of that fact. Only cost me about $36.00 a year.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
My theroy is, if they get the safe loose from the floor and the wall, and carry it out full of guns, then they earned them anyway !

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
My theroy is, if they get the safe loose from the floor and the wall, and carry it out full of guns, then they earned them anyway !
Especially if they can do all of the above while being shot at by the 1 or 2 guns that aren't in my safe! :D

·
Registered
671 Posts
Mark

A local gunsmith always printed his name on a small piece of paper and put it under the butt plate. Actually in the hole under the butt plate. If he sold one of his guns he would remove the butt plate and out fell his little piece of paper.

Darin

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
I will not knowingly purchase a firearm with someone else’s distinctive marking.
When I bought my 375 Winchester, which had fired less than 10 rounds and included the box of ammo, I discussed the rifle for some time with the original owner. The owner had engraved his name and drivers license number on the side of the link in very small letters. I don’t know how he was able to do it.
I subtracted $50.00 from the purchase price to cover the cost of a new link. I don’t need or want a firearm with someone else’s name or driver license number engraved on it and would be quite upset if the markings were not disclosed prior to purchase.
The manufacturers serial number is good enough for me.

·
Registered
722 Posts

Yeah it would be interesting to see them do this, and as my wife and I are both shooting at them while they do this.

·
Banned
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
a mark don t have to be an initial.. mine is just a mark ..hopefully they don t come accross it..its there right in front of you ..but id bet no one would see it.. in any case what i believe tang said is true.. if he get these guns an don t get killed doing it..
he just got himself some real good guns.. but he better not sellum at a flea market..
lotsa my friends know my guns..either way ,,if hes alive he ll make a mistake taking somebodies guns an probably pay the ultimate price sooner or later..high price to pay for a very bad habit..jmo slim

1 - 15 of 15 Posts