Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any updates on the PWS deer. Baring any big storms I may headout on Sat. or Sunday for a week.

Tried to attach a pic for fun. Silvers in the Narrows, near Valdez.

·
Beartooth Regular
5,218 Posts
I haven't heard anything lately Dave. I'm sure the deer are at lower elevations now, though. I understand there's a monster low coming in from the Bering Sea though, not sure when it should come up the Sound.

Canoe Passage has produced for a couple of my friends this year on Hawkins, get a land status map though, Eyak has some private lands in the vicinity. The area around Double Bay on Hinchinbrook produced a couple of easy shots for some other friends of mine about a week ago. Careful though, that's where Mike got mauled. Haven't heard anything good about Garden Cove yet, but would assume with the snow we've had over the past week or so, the deer should be congregating down there.

Stay safe, keep an eye on the sky and the other for bear.

Merry Christmas and good luck.

·
Beartooth Regular
5,218 Posts
Dave,
Did you go out? Snowed up a storm in Girdwood through Christmas, winds were pretty tough too. Did you get a deer?

·
Banned
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lessons learned! Yea I headed out on Tuesday and got caught in a squall just past Saw Mill Bay. It was getting dark so I headed into Galena Bay for the night. The next morning the weather pattern changed and the winds came straight down the Arm, 25-30 knot winds. There was no place for me to go but stay in Galena. " 5 DAYS" I ended up sleeping in the bottom of the boat and could not get out. None of my friends were in town to tow me back and I could not find anyone until Sunday. Cost me $750 to have a 50'er come out and get me back through the rough seas. I decided to pay since the weather pattern was worsening and I might have to stay out 5-7 more days. Pulled the boat today, drove home and just plowed through 3' of "mother natures winter wonder" until the truck burried its self with the boat in tow. Unhitched and put everything away for the winter. Not a good deer season at all. Not one deer but a lot of lessons!

·
Beartooth Regular
5,218 Posts
Glad to hear you made out okay. Must've gotten pretty chilly. I've been stuck in Galena Bay for one day, but not 5. I've been stuck out on Montague (on land) and Hinchinbrook for a week past due and know that the weather is nothing to trifle with out there. I've done some work out in Sawmill Bay and Heather Bay. Beautiful country, when the sun shines. Wouldn't want to be caught there in a storm though. Sure bet the water was rough coming through the Narrows.

I plowed and shoveled just about everyday through Christmas.

Remember the avalanches back a couple of years ago? I got stranded when coming home that evening. I flew back to my house after 2 days (saw that dozer in the inlet). My house was a bump in the snow. I borrowed a neighbor's shovel and TUNNELED into my house. When shoveling the roof, on the downslope, I was still reaching over my head.

I did some work over in the Tasnuna River this year (over Marshall's Pass) in June and we still had a ton of snow up there.

Glad to hear you are okay, safe and sound.

We'll get 'em next year.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts