Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some of this powder laying around, probably 15+ years old, and was wondering if anybody out there has used it in 44mag cases, or other similar handgun type rounds. I'm just looking for a way to use up this powder and get some cheap plinking loads for my marlin 1894ss. It might be interesting to see what primers set if off best as well. I tried some regular pyrodex in my 357 mag revolver, and all I got was a locked up cylinder after about 12-18 rounds. Any suggestions?:confused:

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Look up Big Lube bullets on the net. They are made for blackpowder using blackpowder lubes. They have a very large lube groove to allow the cowboys to shoot their matches without cleaning. Seems to work for them. I have an old Winchester 1873 in 44/40 that Im going to try these bullets in. Generally, you need to compress blackpowder in a cartridge to get it to shoot with less fouling. Also Federal Magnum primers are popular. In my experience, Pyrodex fouls worse than black.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I'll try that and see what works. I've got some Federal and CCI magnum primers - I'll try both and see if either one is accurate enough to be worth the effort. Haven't heard of those bullets, I'll have to see what they offer.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts