Shooters Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Inactive Account
300 Posts
I do not know about Sharp bullets or Round Balls. But, Sabots and standard bullets work fine.

I do think that much more than 100 gr is a waste of pellets in 50 cal. I can load 150 (3 50g pellets) but do not do more than 130. 2 50 and 1 30 but I do mix brands so that might not be the best either. 100g would be easier to reload with do to less unburnt powder.

· Inactive Account
300 Posts
They do not work well or sometimes at all in sidelocks no matter what projectile you use.
Good point

Even loose powder can be a problem with sidelocks

I have heard the suggestion to unscrew the end of the nipple tube and add the finest grained pistol black powder not Pyrodex..

I have used 10 grains of pistol Pyrodex backpowder under 120 gr of rifle Pyrodex powder and made sure I hit the gun hard on the opposite side many times to hopefully get some pistol black powder in the primer tube. Must do this before loading a bullet.

So the use of Pyrodex pellets might make sidelocks even more trouble some - I only switched to pellects after going to an inline so I have no experience with them in a sidelock. But have had plenty of no fires in moist climates with sidelocks but hardly any in dry climates. so if you are hunting in the Mohave Desert you might be fine - smiles.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.