Shooters Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if any of you guys have used any 33wcf brass from quality cartridge? I bought some to load for my dad for a gift and have a concern. I noticed that to get the correct headstamp on it they turned the face where the original stamp was in the lathe until it was removed, then they re-stamped it 33 win. My concern is when they did this it made the rim about .020 thinner. This cartridge headspaces on the rim correct? So will this cause a problem in the gun, like the firing pin won't be able to go in far enough to ignite the primer, since the primer would be setting .020 farther forward? Thanks guys.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Sadly I don’t have a chamber drawing for the 33 Winchester.
The SAAMI drawings for the 45-70 establish the total rim thickness as: .070”. The tolerance is .010” thinner.
The drawing has a beveled radius .015” thick and QC probably removed this portion of the rim to remove the headstamp.

The SAAMI chamber drawing lists the total headspace as .070” minimum and .077” maximum.
The drawings by Greg Mushial in RCBS Load give the same rim thickness for both the 33 WCF and the 45-70 Govt. - .0700”

Measuring rims on old cases can be misleading but I just measured an U.M.C. 38-70 case and its rim measures .069”.

I would not be concerned.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts