Shooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like th insomnia has kicked in again so, I might as well post.

I have scoured the net for someone that make a quality practical holster to carry a 5 1/2" RSB Bisley in .44mag.  I would prefer crossdraw and I am a lefty and am now getting a little tired of the search.  Anyone have some great personal experiences they can share?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
572 Posts
Lefty,

Here is an addy to a fella that is a top notch leather man.

I almost cried when he moved out of Alaska.

He has some great designs and will custom make to your specs also. His name is "Murphy" and I have used his holsters and knife sheaths HARD...

Enjoy,

Scotty

http://www.mosquitonet.com/~drkhorse/index.html

·
Registered
254 Posts
Gentlemen, go to the Cowboy Gear and Accessories section on this forum. Marshall made the post a few months back. Check out 3 Cross Gunleather. There are some nice examples in there. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I'm still having a hard time finding a holster that can be used with my two-tiered fanny pack (has padded waist belt and shoulder straps).  Can this Backcountry holster be rigged for a c/draw shoulder holster?  I think the c/draw shoulder holster (thin shoulder strap design worn like the Ringler Wyoming holster) will be the only choice that will work with a pack such as mine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Lefty Hunter

El Paso Saddlery, I'm nearly positive, will make left handed holsters. The Tom Threeperson (model 1920) in a cross draw would work well. I use one or two on a daily basis. Strong side for a .45 Colt Freedom Arms M-97 and a cross draw for a Ruger Single Six. The are super holsters at a very reasonable price. The plain jane cross draw is around &#3660, lined. More for basket weave etc. Their phone is 915-544-2233. I have 4 of there holsters and another on order.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Alan

I have had the same problem. For day hikes and hunting
I use a rucksack. They are very much out of style, but still have a function that can not be met with modern designs. I usually wear 2 revolvers (see previous post) and nearly always at least one revolver. I always wear a pack with survival gear and water. Waist bands and such are just in the way. The rucksack I use had a waist band but I ditched the thing many years ago. Mine was from Cabelas. I just checked their latest catalog and didn't see it. They still had them last year so maybe they still do. Its called a duck hunters rucksack, as I recall (about &#3650). Three big outside pockets. I have had mine about 15 years. Cheaper Than Dirt as some european military rucksacks that might work for you. On longer trips where I am actually backpacking into an area, I have worn a holster directly on the waist band of a freighter type packframe and bag. Most modern bags would not work becasue the waist belts are so bulky. Mine is an old REI. I had El Paso Saddlery make me a 2.5" gun belt with only 6 cartridge loops placed just to the left of the very front of the belt. A pack will destroy belt loops in a few hundred miles (ie a low slung rucksack). I have thought about the shoulder holster route, but haven't gone that way. I read somewhere that the old tanker style shoulder holster works well with a back pack. El Paso makes those but I don't have one. See the previous post regarding El Paso. Doubt if I have helped you. At least you know someone else has gone down that same road.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
The one I have been using for several years now is a shoulder holster rig that is a loop of leather slung over your right shoulder with the pistol resting under the left.  This unit can be had in L & R styles and is sold by Fox Ridge.  Primarily for Contenders and Encores, they also make it for FA revolvers as well as other brands of revolvers, scoped or unscoped.  Very comfortable and quick to get on or off.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to everyone for the input.  Just wanted to let everyone know that I just received the Sept. 2001 issue of Shooting Times and it has an article called "Top 10 Holsters for Handgun Hunters".

(Edited by Lefty Hunter at 7:55 pm on Aug. 2, 2001)

·
Beartooth Regular
1,116 Posts
I'll second Bob H's suggestion. El Paso Saddlery has been doing it longer than anyone else and handling their products quickly explains why. They are simply outstanding.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I use an old jackass leather co.(now galco I belive) shoulder holster with my .41 & .44 S & W's. very handy,and fits under coats & jackets. I also have used a rucksack for yrs. mine is an old L.L.BEAN pack I wish they would make again.....

·
Registered
59 Posts
The other day I had  purchased a plain old holster for a 71/2" SA.  I wanted a cross draw however it seemed hard to find so I bought the straight one.  Then I cut the loop off and marked how I wanted it to be stitched back on to make a cross draw out of it.
Then I took this into a saddle shop and had them stitch it back up for me.  They charged me &#362 to do the stitching.  They had a few guns in there where they were building some custome leather holsters for.  I asked the charge to build one from scratch that was just plain jane they said about &#3640.
Not bad for a semi-custom leather holster.  I would look into a tack shop or shoe repair for a holster, especially being left handed.

Good luck,
Will

·
Beartooth Regular
1,116 Posts
Lefty,

Jim Wilson has a good article on hunting/field holsters in the latest issue of SHOOTING TIMES. Not geared specifically for left-handers, but most of the rigs mentioned are available for southpaws. If nothing else it gives you clear color photos of several holsters mentioned in this thread.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts