Shooters Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wanting to purchase a fireproof gunsafe. Any suggestions on what to buy, what accessories are necessary, which is better and why? Also, God forbid, it is in a fire and it has a keypad lock, how do you get it open again. Thanks ahead!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Lights in the safe are very nice and functional...the LED options are really nice. A Golden Rod for condensation control is good to have too.

Count your current and estimate your future gun inventory and buy a safe rated at about double your expected inventory as safes rarely will hold what the makes say they will hold.

As far as locks, I prefer the old school dial, mainly for looks. After a fire, most safe's melt-seal (that strip around the door) will melt in a fire and seal the door and you'll need professional help or lots of muscle to get the door open. And usually after a fire, the safe is a total loss so don't worry much about the plastic key pad or dial, both will likely be a total loss.

Lastly, most homeowners insurance will cover damage to the safe but not the firearms, so you guns will be protected by the safe and the safe will get replaced under your homeowners insurance (policies vary, check your own).

Reactions: wvden

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great info thanks! I did not know my homeowners would not cover my firearms!!! I need to check into that for sure. I guess professional help means a locksmith?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Be sure to buy a safe that is larger than you think you will ever need. Trust me, it will fill up over time and make you regret not going with a larger unit. You'll also want to shop around before buying an expensive LED light strip set designed for a safe. I pieced together a 5-strip LED light set using an old "wall-wart" transformer I already had for power for only $40 - which really beats the 5-strip set I'd seen selling for $150.

You're also going to be a lot more secure if you have the safe bolted to the floor and/or wall. The last safe I bought weighed 1600 lbs empty and I thought I'd never need to worry about bolting it down. When it was delivered, two burly guys showed up but only one of them brought it into my home. :eek: The second guy only guided the first and passed a pair of 2x4's with a Delrin strip back to the guy pushing it in. He made it look easy since they had proper equipment - so clearly a knowledgeable burglar could do the same.

Also, try and find a location where the safe will be away from other things that will burn. The closer your safe is to flammable items the quicker and higher the interior temperature can become. I also make an effort to store my more valuable guns toward the center of the safe - staying as far away from the door and side walls as possible.

My lock preference is for the Sargent & Greenleaf combo w/lockable dial. No worries about batteries or possible EMP damage, plus once you open it (using the combination), you can use the key to open it quickly until you decide to spin the dial again to fully lock it again. If you can, get a black dial. I have one that's black and another that is gold-plated and the gold one is a PITA to clearly see the numbers while spinning the dial. The black is quicker and easier to open since the numbers are so much more visible.

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,223 Posts
I recently bought a Liberty 60 gun safe. I am lucky if I can get 45 long guns in it. The gun count does not include scoped rifles. My wife and I both tried different combination setups and we decided on the digital lock as we were unable to consistently operate a Manual dial. Mine is wired for 120 ac so all I had to do was plug it in. When you buy a safe consider getting dealer installation if offered. It took three young men almost two hours to get the safe unloaded and installed. No way we could have done it. We also installed the safe in a custom built cabinet where it is out of view. Another problem was that this was the first time that my wife saw most of my guns in one spot.

·
Registered
547 Posts
All the things mentioned above are great. Especially the bolting of the safe. Also I would suggest you get a cordless dehumidifier like this one Amazon.com: Stack-On SPAD-100 Wireless Rechargeable Dehumidifier for Stack-On Long-Gun Safes: Sports & Outdoors. It doesn't need power to work, just to "recharge" so if the power goes out your covered. Plus pick up a sticky back battery powered LED light strip like this one http://www.amazon.com/OxyLED%C2%AE-T-01-Anywhere-Closets-Garages/dp/B00GD8OKY0/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1429159360&sr=8-4&keywords=sticky+led+light+strip. Once again, if the power goes out you can see in your safe.

There is a ton of stuff out there to make you safe have more room.

Good luck and don't tell anyone that you have a safe! :D

PS:
A good places to look for gun safes is http://www.gunsafes.com/. They have free "curb side" shipping with other options for delivery and placement.

Reactions: wvden

·
Registered
217 Posts
My lock preference is for the Sargent & Greenleaf combo w/lockable dial. No worries about batteries or possible EMP damage, plus once you open it (using the combination), you can use the key to open it quickly until you decide to spin the dial again to fully lock it again. If you can, get a black dial. I have one that's black and another that is gold-plated and the gold one is a PITA to clearly see the numbers while spinning the dial. The black is quicker and easier to open since the numbers are so much more visible.
Fill the numbers on the gold dial with black paint, and that will cure the problem. I also use a cheap Harbor Freight LED flashlight with magnetic mount that I mount so the beam shines on the dial. Makes reading numbers much easier.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Another problem was that this was the first time that my wife saw most of my guns in one spot.
Ah oh. Hope that went well. Maybe buy her a trip to the spa or something and she might forget what she saw.:D

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Some good information here;

Gun Safe Buyers' Guide

Depending on how you stack your long guns (I don't like mine touching each other), and if you want shelves in the safe... A fair estimate of true space is about half of what the safe advertisements claim.

As far as insurance replacement for firearms, that's up to YOU to choose a company that replaces ALL your household contents. Mine does cover all my possessions, at replacement cost. I also recommend a photo-inventory for any/all possessions. ...Copy kept at a different location than what might burn.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Now there are safes we can move ourselves when we need or want to.

And also put them in place ourselves where nobody else knows and move them at any time.

That's what I would get next.

They are listed by Zanotti, Snap Safe, Champion and perhaps others.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Another problem was that this was the first time that my wife saw most of my guns in one spot.
I hadn't thought of that. I may not have as many toys as you, but if I put all mine together in one spot my wife might be surprised too.

Gun safe is on my list of things to purchase this year. I'm leaning towards a Champion myself. Price competitive and seem to be well built.

·
Banned
3,929 Posts
I purchased a Fort Knox around 15 years ago, great well made safe but scoped rifles take up a lot of room etc. Then 4 years ago I purchased another for the wife's guns. Yep, they can fill up in a hurry!;) :cool: We also keep our reloading components in the safe too, bullets, primers etc.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
One thing you can do easily, particularly if you have an unfinished interior in a garage, is mount a sprinkler head over the safe. Just plumb a 1/2" steel water line. You can get sprinkler heads on ebay. Doesn't really matter what temperature rating since the fire rating of the safe gives wide latitude to when it needs to go off, and it's not for life safety. I think a lot of the fire ratings on safes are arbitrary and somewhat dubious.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts