Shooters Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a used 94 in 30-30 for 250.00 OTD. According to what i can fined by checking the S/N it was built in 64'. But it has a steel butt plate an is drilled for side mount reciever sights. Is this a left over pre-64 that was built in early 64, a kind of transition gun? Not looking for collectore value cause i got it Friday an ran 500 rounds through it the next day. I never realized 30-30 had a kick. Just wondering, cause i never paid attention to Winchester any thing, it was always out of my dollar range. I haven't had a lever gun in years. Forgot how fun they are.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I don't know if this will help or not, but back in the late 60s early 70s I got a 94, it had a metal but plate, my friend got one about the same time, his was plastic, don't know why they where different.
I have a 66 centenial that is tapped for a receiver sight, didn't know anything about receiver sights back in the 60-70s so couldn't say about the one mentioned above.
Terry

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
Congratulations on your new gun. That's a decent price and I wouldn't worry a whole lot about whether it is pre-64 or not.

Did you REALLY fire 500 rounds through that little gun, in one day?! :eek:

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
Congratulations on your new gun. That's a decent price and I wouldn't worry a whole lot about whether it is pre-64 or not.

Did you REALLY fire 500 rounds through that little gun, in one day?! :eek:
OUCH!! :eek: I bet he wouldn't have fired 500 rounds in one day if it were a .44 Magnum. ;)

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
OUCH!! :eek: I bet he wouldn't have fired 500 rounds in one day if it were a .44 Magnum. ;)
I'm sure that's a typo, or something...you put 500 rounds though anything but a rimfire and you're probably gonna feel it the next day. No wonder he was surprised to find out the 30/30 has a little kick to it! :eek: :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Wasn't really worried about it just wondering.

Yes i did fire 500 rounds, that was no miss print. I had a Marlin about 2 years ago that i loaded for so i had about 12 boxes loaded already. I normally spend about 3 hours a day loading ammo for my 1911 any way. So it wasn't no big stretch for me to load the 30-30. I go to the range 2-3 times a month and spend all day. I didn't cook through those in an hour. More like 6. I got back from Iraq in June and i usualy use about two grand of that money to buy components every year. The only problem with the rifle is cosmetic. Some crack head in the past drilled & tapped the right side for a side mount scope. Other than that she's a goodin'.

I have a buddy who does the Cowboy shoots. He goes through 2000 rounds a WEEKEND! He isn't married though, so all he does is work out, shoot and play freakin XBOX.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
500 rounds thru a 30-30 is nothing compared to 300 rounds thru an 86 45/70 in a day. ;) Many a time I came home from the range with a bruised shoulder. That 94, does it have a single screw from the bottom of the recieved holding the bottom lever linkage pin in place ? Or does it have a screw thru the link and reciever instead of a pin ? If it's a screw thru, it's a post 64. If it has a screw retained pin, it's a pre 64. Good price though no matter which it is.:D

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
I can honestly say I've never fired 500 rounds of center-fire rifle cartridges in a day, but now that you've thrown down the gauntlet... :D

Seriously, that's got to leave a mark, doesn't it? 500 rounds in 6 hours (360 minutes) is only 1.4 shots a minute, but with reload time and checking/changing targets. Man, that's putting some lead down that tube! I bet the action got noticeably smoother as the day went on?

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Checking targets ? I don't shoot paper when I go out, we shoot clay pigeons in the backstop. Or steel targets out at the farm. I rarely ever go out and shoot less than 200 rounds. I don't get where y'all think a mod 94 30-30 kicks.

·
Registered
77 Posts
500 rounds? Was this in COMBAT? I'm trying to picture this .I don't think I've even done 500 rounds of BB gun shooting in one afternoon!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I do have a nice deep purple bruise from bad form on a couple shots. I didn't have her tucked in there just so. I do like that little rifle though.
I work part time at gunshop near my base. All the guys that work there get together, with some of our friends/customers a few times a year. We bring our hardware out and have a good time on our boss's farm. Some of them have Class III stuff. One guy has a 20mm Anit-Aircraft gun he towes behind his truck. I think he said it cost $13 a round. Any body ever shoot a supressed MP5K? It sounds like COMBAT then.

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
I like shooting clay targets as well, but that still requires walking out and setting them up. Each one lasts 1, maybe 2 shots. The 30/30 isn't a powerhouse cartridge, but my experience with the Model 94 is that it's a light little gun with a metal, or hard plastic buttplate. With the rather excessive drop at heel and comb, it DOES tend to generate some felt recoil. I guess it's all about perception, but I'm not sure it's humanly possible to fire 500 rounds of 30/30 through a 94 w/o getting a nice bruise, regardless of how well you mount the gun.

I guess I'm one of those guys who enjoys putting 5 in a dime, instead of 100 in a watermelon, but I also believe it's important to be able to do both. Props to the guys out there who shoot a LOT! :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Don't get me wrong broom-jm. I like good tight groups my self, i have a custom stocked(by some body else) Sako Vixen in 222. I like trying to cover 10 shots with a Dime. Aint done it yet, cause i keep pulling at least one shot. But working up loads and all that is just hard work. Taking a weapon and seeing just how fast you can ring steel is just plane fun. I have a little orange self healing reactive target the wife got me. I like chaseing that thing with lead too. I'm actualy thinking of going back and getting another 94. The store had 6 that they can't sell. Nobody around here thinks 30-30 is big enough for deer. This town has Magnumitis big time.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I like shooting clay targets as well, but that still requires walking out and setting them up. Each one lasts 1, maybe 2 shots. The 30/30 isn't a powerhouse cartridge, but my experience with the Model 94 is that it's a light little gun with a metal, or hard plastic buttplate.
1-2 shots ? I shoot the pigeons then work on the pieces til there's no orange left to see at 100 yards.:D Even more challenging with the 5.5" Bisley 44. ;) Don't always connect, but you can see the bullet hit usually right next to it, when I do my part.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts