Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya, Im a newbie.
Heres my question: I picked up a savage 116 lh in 300 win mag. The 2pc weaver mounts are too far apart to have a scope fit. I oriented the bases so the notches for the rings are as close as possible, but both my simmons scopes have too short of a distance between the bells that house the lenses. They are full size scopes, a 2x8x44mm and a 2x10x50mm.
Im thinking that either the bases are wrong (need maybe extented front base? )
Theres no difference in the overall lengths of scopes, are there??
Thanks much!
MIke

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,992 Posts
Welcome to the board, Olyeller - I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Yes, there IS a difference in the scope tube length of various scope manufacturers, as well as where they locate the adjustment turret. Some scopes have a fairly long tube (Leupold) and some have a short tube (Simmons). To accomodate, you will have to put an extension mount on either the front, rear or perhaps, both mounting taps on the receiver.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,321 Posts
You need longer scopes. There seems to be a trend toward compact scopes these days - good writeup by John Barsness one or two issues back in the Rifle/Handloader/Successful Hunter magazines. I just got a Handloader so it's probably one of the other two.

Don't suppose you tried a one-piece base? Weaver bases are pretty cheap, should be less than ten bucks.

I see the word "Leupold" in your future....

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow guys, thanks for the quick replies! I am partial to Leupolds, but I had one Simmons that I really liked, and that gave me some brand loyalty. Like why Ill never put a burris on a rifle. Im gonna get an extended front base and try that first. One piece mounts in a LH Savage can only be had in gloss.
I know I probably should pick up one of those vx-1's and give that a try.
Whats the consensus on those Leupold riflemans? I Just noticed that line, must be new, huh? I about messed my pants when I saw that wally world was selling Leupold scopes, so Im guessing they are really entry class scopes.
Ill throw a pic of me and my deer(s) up here in a month or so.
Thanks! :)

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,321 Posts
A little flat black Krylon on that gloss scope base and no one will ever know....

Seriously, there may be other options for 'Weaver-stye' bases that could give you what you need. So keep an eye out.

Don't know anything about the 'Rifleman' scopes, am interested but somewhat skeptical. Wondering if they will measure up to the rest of the line, and how costs were cut.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,992 Posts
Guess I'll just struggle along with the half dozen or so Vari-XII's I have - never had a bad one in all the years of shooting. Same with Burris. Now, if you want to talk Redfield, Simmons, Tasco, etc and so forth, let me know.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
I'm pretty certain that the "Rifleman" scopes and the VX-1 are one in the same. If you notice the pricing, it's very close. You'll also notice that no big scope peddlers are selling the VX-1's, as they don't want to compete on Wal-Marts terms. That would probably be why the scopes at Wal-Mart have a different name, so that real gun shops can actually sell the entry level product without a bunch of wankers telling the shop that they can buy it for $20 cheaper at Wal-Mart. Right after that, they ask if the shop will mount and bore sight it for free. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts