Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MY dad gave me a old 32 Colt revolver. On the barrel it says...Pocket Positive 32 colt ctg. Also ther is a colt pat'd Aug 5 1884, June 5, 1900, July 4, 1905 on the top of the barrel. in the swing out chamber there is some lettering that reads "54748 D" It takes long rifle 32 bullets. I am curious to find some more information on this gun. Such as when was it made? Where was it made. What is it worth? It is in perfect shooting condition and I shot it last month when I went out to play with my Modified Remington Pump shotty and my Smith and wesson 9mm. Before my father died he told me he picked this gun up off a vietkong soilder he killed in vietnam. Does anyone know where I can go to get some more info on this gun and not to a gun shop that will try and swaggle it off me for $100 and sell it for 10 times that?

here is a link to the picture of the gun.

www.clanulf.com/tazcar/colt/colt32.JPG

Thankyou:)

·
Super Moderator
9,457 Posts
Ok..as I undersatnd it, the "New pocket" was the first one...it was only avaialbe in .32LC. By 1905, it became the "Pocket positive" and was offerend in .32LC, .32 Colt New police. the .32Colt New Police is the same as the .32SWL, just with a slightly flat faced bullet...the ,32LC is a differnt critter, and a .32SWL should not fit into the cylinder of a .32LC.

The .32Long Colt 9and the .32Short Colt) were first loaded a heeled bullets...that is the bullet was the same diameter as the case (like a .22RF)...later it was loaded with a HB bullet that runs .299" to .301" and was expected to bump-up to the .312" bore size. the short colt never got this treatment, it was always a heeled bullet load. BOTH of them used cases that were smaller in diameter than the .32SWL (wich is the same as the .38 New Police as I've mentioned)

While the "pocket Positive" was made to 1940, I do think that the .32LC was progressivley taken over by the .32NP...don't know when the last one in .32LC was shipped, but have to believe it was before 1940.

Now tiis is key...they are not all that uncommon, but one in 90% or better condition and still working is RARE. Moster are well beat up, rusted, and hard worn...and the lock work is NOT all that strong, so finding one in good working order is hard.

It is possible it was picked up in vietnam...esp. if picked up in the early days when neary anything that went "bang" was used. BUT, the condition makes me wonder...vietnam was not a kind place to rustable metal.

·
Super Moderator
9,457 Posts
My bad...couldn't get the picture link to work the first time...got it the seond time.

That one is a possible Vieltnam gun. Looks to be blue-less, chipped grip (and from the wear pattern, with the left grip pretty unworn, will bet it was carried by a right hander), and in about 60% condtion. Hard to sell gun as ammo (.32LC) isn't all that common (or currently made) and the average collector wants a 90% or better gun. I like Colts, and would cough up $300-$350 for a clean 90% gun, I think I'd have to go a good bit less (like 1/2) for that one. KNOW the book value is higher, but they aren't tat uncommon down here (the South seemed to have a passion for little .32's...are more common here than in other parts of the nation).

Will not get a Vieltnam connection from any shipping or personal sourse...if there are papers cupporting it's return (fat chance...everyone just stuffed them in out of the way pockets on their bags and hoped they weren't searched too hard).

Do know there was a large shipments of Colts to Cuba in the 1930's, and what ever became of most of those is pretty much un-known (maybe once Fiedel dies, we'll have a great bonaza of neat surplus weapons)...and it's possible they got over to Vietnam.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. The gun works great and I shot the last 20 or so bullets i had a few months ago. It doesnt look all that pretty but it is in perfect working condition and can be cleaned up some. IT has a chrome type finish with some scratches and something that appears to be a set of initials of A.W. or something like that. Both sides of the pistol grip are unworn and probably wasnt shot that much. ( probably why it still works) The only problem is the somewhat rough finish and chipped handle. Do you think it would be a good or bad idea to ahve the guns surface REfinished to make it look better? Would it hurt its value because its not an origional surface ?

·
Super Moderator
9,457 Posts
Could be an original plating job...depends. If there are small pits from rust or other "dings" that are plated or the markings are worn under the plate (or uneven looking) can bet it was applied after the revolver left Colt's.

Wouldn't refinish reguardless....no real reason to, you won't be giving the gun hard use, so a coat of oil will preserve it fine and while you may take it out to shoot now and again, you won't be putting 100's or rounds through it in a year.

Clean it, peserve it, and leave it as it is. Let the wear and little dings tell a sotry of the 90some-odd years this gun has sat in pants pockets, at the bed side, in purses, hidden in coats, or sat in the cash drawer tell their own story.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts