Shooters Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
4,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why is it that the diopter adjustment is always on the right eye? I see best out of my left eye. Playing golf since 1971 has done this to me. I shoot from my left eye, too. Seems to me, binoculars never give me the ability I need to adjust the focus. Am I lost and is there no hope for me? Cryin' in my beer in Nevada...

·
Registered
481 Posts
Don't know what you have, but my B&L binocular has a center focus wheel that moves both barrels, and one adjustable eyepiece.

To use mine, I use the center focus to get a distant object sharp in my left eye, then focus the right eyepiece until that is sharp, too. All changes in focus from then are made with the center focus wheel and both eyes are happy. (And there is a large difference in the prescriptions for left and right lenses in my eyeglasses.)

The Old Guy

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
I really doesn't matter what side the diopter adjustment is on. You block the right lens - leave the cap on - and using the center wheel focus the left barrel so that the image is clear and crisp. Then you cap the left barrel and open the right side. That side will probably be out of focus (unless both of your eyes are exactly the same). You use the diopter to bring that side into focus. That adjustment sets the bino for your eyes; there is no need to touch the diopter again unless someone changes the adjustment. All focusing after that point is done with the center wheel.
it does not matter which side the diopter is on - both barrels are "focusable".
Pete

·
Registered
8,177 Posts
other types

You also might try a pair with dual diopter adjustments. Some Steiner models allow independent adjustments for both eyes and then the binos are focused in, forever. There is no need from 10 yds to infinity to focus them again/more. I've come to really appreciate and enjoy this system more than a center focus bino. :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.