Shooters Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone, Im just starting out to cast bullets for my .50 muzzleloader. Ive got about 130lbs of roof lead waiting to get cast. Im thinking of getting this mold for my first one: Lee 1-Cavity Improved Minie Ball Bullet Mold 500-360M (500 Diameter) 360 Grain

I was looking for a hollowpoint mold but I cant seem to find any, they all look to be a hollow bottom mold? am i just looking at it upside down?

anyways thanks and HI from Grand Junction Colorado!!

·
Registered
453 Posts
is this an inline or traditional ML?
if it is a traditional you might be better off with a round ball.

by design Minnie's are hollow base bullets. they are supposed to be a little undersized to load easy, when fired the base expands to fill the grooves & form a gas seal.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
That Lee mold does have the pin at the bottom.
I've used that bullet for years in my ML (which is traditional). The Minie ball is easy to load- easier than either a roundball or any of the other conicals I've tried, and the Minie is quite accurate, too.
I agree with the others that a hollow point isn't needed- big hole in, big hole out.
I have only shot deer with mine, and have never recovered a bullet. Never had to shoot twice, or chase a deer, either.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.