Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never used military brass to reload ,just bought 500 lake city cases.They have been trimed,sized and crimp removed.The brass is much thicker than the brass I currently use,how much will I have to reduce my loads in this brass and is it stronger than win,rem brass as far as how many times it can be reloaded?

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
shoalbass

The "common knowledge" is that military brass is thicker and thus has less capacity than commercial brass.  As they say, it ain't necessarily so.  The down and dirty way to check this is to weigh both the mil. stuff and commercial.  If they weigh the same then they have the same capacity since the only dimensional difference which can mean anything at all is the volume of the extractor groove which is relatively consistant.  (When sized the cases will have the same external dimensions, so the heavier has more brass resulting in the interior capacity being smaller) You might find this lot of Lake City actually has slighter greater volume than some commercial.  I have found that there is usually more variation between commercial brands than between military and commercial, and we usually ASSUME (there's that word again) that there is no significant difference between brands to be worried about!!!

So far as case life is concerned, much military brass is actually of higher quality than some commercial since the conditions of use can be much more severe in military applications.

Back to the question.  If the Lake City is heavier than the commercial you have been using the only way to determine actual capacity is to deetrmine the water capacity of both.  Typically you will find the actual water capacity to vary 5% or less.  If you reduce your load by the actual % difference in capacity then both loads (assuming everything else is equal) will have the same loading density.  

Just be sure that both cases are in the same condition when you check water capacity.  If fired, they should both have been fired in the same chamber, and if sized, then sized in the same die.

If you don't know how to do this check for capacity, we'll explain it to you if you ask.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,434 Posts
Good writeup... sometimes we forget that even commercial brass can vary a whole bunch.  I once bought a bag of 100 Federal .30-06 cases at a gun show, and for some reason or other I weighed them all.

They were obviously from two very different lots.  I got 50 or so that were pretty uniform and another 25-30 that were also pretty uniform.  Rest were all over the place.  The 50-round "lot" had several grains more water capacity than the other group!  That's a LOT of difference and the amout of powder that would fill up one case to the mouth would only go partway into the neck of the other.

So.... as noted, weigh 'em and see.

·
Registered
36 Posts
SOP is for any change in components drop load by 10% then work up (IF NEEDED).
I shoot both Military & commercial brass in 30\06 & .308 in M1 Garand, M14 ( M1A if you prefer) & a Win M70 Match\Varmint Rifle. I have found that weather, my clothing , personal mental state, etc. have about as much effect on what the rifle does as the difference in brass. 'course that is me & MY rifles.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts