Shooters Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a Maverick 88 20ga for my son. Happy with the gun, but this 20ga ammo is getting harder to find than hen teeth!

So... my apologize for the peppering of questions!

1) Stock Maverick 20ga: is there any reason why I can't run these through it:
20 Gauge - 3/4 Oz Slug - 2.75 inch - 1350 FPS - Stars and Stripes Brand

2) I'm itching to get the boy reloading, and I'm wondering if the shells above can be reloaded?

3) And... the question that I'm certain every new member asks -- but here I am too -- other than prowling the Walmart (I'd like to avoid that!!) -- any other tips to not get ripped off when ammo shopping? I know about ammoseek, and they're pretty good... anything else?

Thanks! And thanks for havin' me here!

·
Premium Member
17,256 Posts
Welcome aboard. Slugs are crimped with a roll crimp which is not suitable for reloading. Go to the local skeet range for brass and maybe ammo, too. Winchester AA target hulls can be used to reload any 2 3/4" load and last nearly forever. Ranges almost always have ammo for sale and hulls are usually pretty easy to find.

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
Welcome RePete.
I don't know much about the Maverick 88 but from what i read the barrels are interchangeable with the Model 500 Mossberg,
Shotgun barrels are marked for max shell chambering, or all shell length that are safe to fire in that Barrel and that will also relate to the action but actions are not marked.
20Ga shells are 2 3/4inch and 3 inch and those measurements are measured on a fired hull(case).
Have fun with your shotgun and be Safe.

Greg
CGVS

·
Registered
471 Posts
Well, slug hulls ARE suitable for reloading. I've loaded several 16 bore hulls that were originally loaded with Brenneke slugs. You might need to trim them a little and you will have to have, or make, over shot cards AND have the appropriate roll crimp tool from BPI. Is it worth it? Well, it might be right now.

Reactions: Darkker

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
As with metallic, shotgun loading starts with the hull. As JBelk noted, hulls can be found if you look. Trap/Skeet/Sporting ranges. Winchester AA's are good, but if you can find a plentiful supply of the same brand, "most" can be reloaded. One caveat...just because a hull "can be" reloaded, doesn't mean that it will make a good load.

If all your doing is shooting 100-200 slugs a year and a flat or so of field loads...honestly loading isn't for you. Keep scouring the box stores and grab what you can. Be glad you are not a competitive trap/skeet shooter trying to find ammo and components enough to shoot 30K+ targets a year.

I hate to say it, but now is a very tough time to get into any type reloading, much less shotgun. Good luck in whatever you decide. If you have further questions...feel free and be specific.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As with metallic, shotgun loading starts with the hull. As JBelk noted, hulls can be found if you look. Trap/Skeet/Sporting ranges. Winchester AA's are good, but if you can find a plentiful supply of the same brand, "most" can be reloaded. One caveat...just because a hull "can be" reloaded, doesn't mean that it will make a good load.

If all your doing is shooting 100-200 slugs a year and a flat or so of field loads...honestly loading isn't for you. Keep scouring the box stores and grab what you can. Be glad you are not a competitive trap/skeet shooter trying to find ammo and components enough to shoot 30K+ targets a year.

I hate to say it, but now is a very tough time to get into any type reloading, much less shotgun. Good luck in whatever you decide. If you have further questions...feel free and be specific.
Thank you. Is there a good source of each item used in reloading (machine not inclusive) and their "going" costs?

For example, I know primers right now are a problem. Can you tell me more about that?

·
Registered
738 Posts
209 primers are available. They are showing online as in stock at many locations. All other components are available also. Go to the Balistic Products or Precision Reloading sites for prices etc. Plenty of information on the powder manufacturers websites but I would suggest obtaining a reloading manual to familiarize yourself with the process. A half way decent MEC reloader can be had for $125-150. There is a used 20 ga on Craig's list for 125.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Here is a pretty good cost calculator. Starting with hulls, you can probably get them for free. Primers can be had from anywhere from $75/1000 plus hazmat fee. Locally I have seen CCI for $7.99/100. As already noted, BPI has Cheddite in stock from time to time. Claybuster makes a good clone wad. Check the Hodgdon site for best 20 gauge powders and loads. If you are thinking of slugs, BPI sells a Buckshot and Slug manual. I highly recommend it. My old Lyman #4 also has some data, but powders are pretty outdated. Shot can also be a challenge. I have several hundred pounds, so haven't looked in awhile.

As others have noted, get a good shotgun manual. Good luck.

·
Registered
342 Posts
The only reason I could think of not to run those through the gun would be if it has a fixed, full choke. Don't think it would damage but 20's kick hard enough without pinching the projectile.

·
Registered
8,170 Posts
I just picked up a Maverick 88 20ga for my son. Happy with the gun, but this 20ga ammo is getting harder to find than hen teeth!

So... my apologize for the peppering of questions!

1) Stock Maverick 20ga: is there any reason why I can't run these through it:
20 Gauge - 3/4 Oz Slug - 2.75 inch - 1350 FPS - Stars and Stripes Brand

2) I'm itching to get the boy reloading, and I'm wondering if the shells above can be reloaded?

3) And... the question that I'm certain every new member asks -- but here I am too -- other than prowling the Walmart (I'd like to avoid that!!) -- any other tips to not get ripped off when ammo shopping? I know about ammoseek, and they're pretty good... anything else?

Thanks! And thanks for havin' me here!
PM inbound with a place that has a LOT of different 20ga stuff in stock; slugs, #5, #6, TTT, and 00 buckshot. Shipping costs are a decent $12/flat fee under $200 and FREE over $200 order.

And, Stars and Stripes ammo is very good stuff from my previous experiences with them. They had shut down several years ago due to a fire and it's good to see them back.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Pete, Where are you located? Reason I ask is that someone who might be able to help you might be close enough to help you get started. I'm in the northwest corner of Vermont,(probably not in a position to do anything for you)

Shotshell reloading, at least in my opinion, is more difficult to get started in than reloading for metallic ammunition and , again IMO, a more "picky" undertaking.

First thing is to get a loading manual! Lyman puts out their "Shotshell Handbook" I think the 5th edition is the latest version. Word to the wise, never get rid of earlier versions of any loading data, I have all the Lyman handbooks, I don't use the #1 very often now but it has data for older components no longer listed in the newer versions.

Empty hulls shouldn't be a big deal I will check at my current club for empties, if enough are available I can collect them until can get enough to fill a USPS Flat Rate box full and send them to you.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
38,306 Posts
Unfortunately he hasn't been back on the forum for 5 months. Hopefully he'll see your post.

Welcome

1 - 13 of 13 Posts