Shooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you have to find a scope specifically made for an air rifle? Will using a regular centerfire rifle scope ruin the scope? I think it has something to do with the recoil as I believe an air rifle recoils in the opposite direction of a centerfire rifle. Then maybe I don't know what I am talking about. Any help would be appreciated and thank you in advance.

·
Registered
518 Posts
The recoil on an air rifle depends on the firing mechanism and how it works. When in doubt, always go with an airgun scope. Spring fired air guns can put forces on a scope that are very different from a firearm.
I have a "pump up" air rifle and I have a normal firearm scope on it. It has worked flawlessly for about 50 years. My brother recently bought a single stroke air gun that came with a recommendation to use only air rifle scopes. He bought it with a scope mounted.
So the best answer I can provide you is to get the recommendation from the guns manufacturer and follow it.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,129 Posts
As MikeG says.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Try Nikko Stirling scopes.
The hold up on air rifles.
I like the Nighteater.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys for the information. I will get one that is air rifle rated and not use one I have for my centerfire rifles.

·
Super Moderator
9,551 Posts
That quick/sharp forward to backward recoil of a springer (either metal spring or nitro-piston) is what can screw you.

Most scopes are not et up for that forward impulse....its just natural to firearms that are all about reward recoil.

ON a co2,PCP,single stroke pneumatic,or multi stroke pnematic...it'spretty much all back wards recoil...like a firearm.

Generally,airguns are used at a lot shortyer range....so parralax settings do count.typically shotgun/rimfire scopes are set more like 50-75yards....you likely need 20-40 yards more.
I'd go for aparallax adjustable airgun scope for an airgun....springer or not.

Not that that limits the scope. All of them make good firearms scopes....just that not all firearms scopes make good airgun scopes. All my currently scoped rim fires wear what started out as "airgun scopes".....but few of my airguns wear "firearms" scopes (only some of the "recoiless" type of airguns).

MOUNTS/RINGS:

Wnen a springer shifts the mount/rings ,the scope usually slides BACKWARDS (towards you).

One-way recoil (like a friearm, PCP/Co2 type airgun)will shift a loose mount FORWARDS.

(A few pencil ines along the rings to scope/mount to reciever will let you see ...correct it...quickly)

-----

OK...pedantic readers...."recoiless" airguns are BS in a Newtonian sense....something goers forward, then there has to be an equal-opposite force backwards.

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
Pyramid air sells a series of scopes made by UTG called TS which stands for true strength, they're pretty heavy but they're the only scope I've ever seen that can stand up to a violent recoiling springer for more than a couple of tins of pellets. The scope is one thing, the mounts are another problem, they want to come off the rail as well I don't buy spring guns anymore just for that reason, pcp guns don't have that issue and they're hands down more accurate in every case.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts