Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Inactive account
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can a U.S. citizen who's hunting in Canada purchase ammunition over the counter without ton's of red tape? Thanks, Guy

·
Inactive account
541 Posts
I got all excited for this question, only to find out I can't answer it! :(

I can ask at the gun store tomorrow if you like, although someone here probably knows. You could ask Americans who have been here before.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I believe you need a Non-resident Firearm Declaration to bring your gun to Canada. This same document allows you to buy ammo in the great white north, or import some quantity. Your better off bringing your own as you will probably pay way more in Canada anyway. We want tourists to come here and spend money but we make them jump through silly hoops, go figure.

Here is a government of Canada link, I would read it closely before doing anything. You can download the form or decoration to fill out from this link as well.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/visit-visite-eng.htm

·
Banned
415 Posts
I seem to recall reading somewhere recently that the ammount of (imported) ammunition from a non-resident allowed on Canadian soil (even if it's just a stopover. say, on your way to Alaska) is pathetic. I can't remember for sure, and I may be making it up, but it seems to me that it was well under 20 rounds? Actually, I think that even included the law enforcement folks, who supposedly have to have their guns shipped through independantly of themselves?

Again, I could be wrong about this...but don't be surprised if there is something stupid like that.

·
Inactive account
541 Posts
I spoke with someone at my local Wholesale Sports. He said all you need to purchase ammo is a drivers license and the number of rounds you can take into the country is around 50.

He suggested to contact the CFO (chief firearms officer) of the province/territory you'll be hunting in. http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/cfo-caf/cfo-caf-eng.htm

He also suggested to contact the Border crossing you'll be using, since they are the guys that deal with the paperwork.

I hope you have a great. Stop by if your in the area.

·
Registered
14 Posts
We Canuckistani's have laws for firearms that make no sense. Bring your ML and you can buy 8 pounds of black gun powder, no questions asked. But do not try to bring across a flintlock pistol or you will have real trouble as they are restricted. Flintlock rifles do not have to be registered in Canada..........go figure:)

Mc:)

·
Banned
502 Posts
I thought that Gun Restratrion finally died and was repealed in Canada. In the past, before getting all of the paperwork to own firearms in Canada, I went to Canadian Tire bought my ammo there.

Jerry

·
Inactive account
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do Canadian citizens have to show I.D. when buying ammo? That's a situation that never even occurred to me. I've travelled to Canada to hunt before by motor vehicle. The maximum # of hunting rounds I can bring w/ me into Canada is 200. Next time I'm flying in, and I thought if I could get my run of the mill Remington Corelokts for my .308 at a store near Winnepeg, it would be one less thing I'd have to deal with when checking on the plane. Thanks again for all the responses.

·
Inactive account
541 Posts
Canadians need to show a Possession and Acquisition License (PAL) in order to buy ammo. I was told (as mentioned) that all an American needs is ID. I image photo ID would be needed.

Probably a good idea to clear this with the store you plan on buying from before you come though.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Do Canadian citizens have to show I.D. when buying ammo? That's a situation that never even occurred to me. I've travelled to Canada to hunt before by motor vehicle. The maximum # of hunting rounds I can bring w/ me into Canada is 200. Next time I'm flying in, and I thought if I could get my run of the mill Remington Corelokts for my .308 at a store near Winnepeg, it would be one less thing I'd have to deal with when checking on the plane. Thanks again for all the responses.
Give me a head's up before you show up. I'm just outside of Winnipeg, and if there is any question, I can "lend" you some of mine ;)

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
grandeneigma.. i feel sorry for tall an i know it ll probably come here also..
showing all that paper to buy a box of bullets ..well i won t use the words that really come to mind..but canadas beautiful country..
i took a walk yesterday,in the woods..
natures plan is simple an good.. but man ,who was given the responcibility of having dominion over the earth..well he sure can be irresponcible ,can t he.
but gods plan for it all is in the works. i don t understand most of what he s doing.. don t need to .. i just know he is..his will,,, will be done..
thank god i know that..slim

·
Inactive account
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Johnny Canuck - Thank you, and the same goes to you if you ever come to Maine. Please visit!

Slim - Amen to that! Guy

·
Inactive account
541 Posts
Yeah, Slim, God's in control. We have to keep that in mind.

The rules up here are pretty stupid though. For example: all .32 and .25 caliber handguns are prohibited. Why? I don't know. Maybe someday it'll change for the better.

Mainer - good hunting!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yeah, they banned all .32 and .25 caliber handguns several years ago because some moron told them most " Saterday Night Specials" were chambered for these rounds. There was quite a stir in politician land when they realized that they had banned all of the Canadian Olympic Shooting Teams handguns which are .32 bore. And the olympics right around the corner at the time. The team was given an exemption but that's how much thought goes into our laws.

·
Registered
51 Posts
There is a lot of silly stuff being invented under "homeland security" and of course they are reciprocal.
Apparently US vendors have to get some form of export licence to ship gun accessories to Canada & elsewhere now. Tried to order a choke for my Bennelli out of Cabelas, they ended up losing a 500.00 sale because they can't ship chokes out of country. Cabelas Winnipeg has to drive to border to p/u all kind of gun accessories, because Cabelas won't get the licence.
9/11 changed the picture, now the Democrats have the excuse and they have the power to change things down south. That is liable to upset a few people down there once they catch on.

·
Registered
96 Posts
This has been an important topic. I made up my mind to travel with my 30.06 and see some of both our country's most pristine locals, while they still exist, while my knees still exist, and before these crazy laws create a frustration level that makes travel out of your own state too much hassle. My car does have room for a lawyer though if need be. I did not realize you guys north of the border had such terrible regulation. Of course the trend is going in the wrong direction as well. Once on the books that's pretty much it. We have literally thousands of laws that remain because the cost is too great for their removal. I guess if I go to Canada I'll go to Winnepeg because it sounds friendly. Most cheap stick-up types are those crap .25s. Here in America sometimes our crooks have better guns than the cops. What a shame: I have a degree in Political Science and it's not the need for politics--it's the politcians. In the end it's just another reason why our sport is so hard to hand down to our kids. Between some landowners and lawmakers there's no where to go. If this trend continues there may only be one or two more generations that get to feel the rush of a duck blind in the dark. That's why I'm really starting to think to make hay while the sun shines. I hope I'm wrong, but thanks anyhow on the information on Canada. For me, it's still too fantasic of a country to let the hassle keep me from coming. But we are losing this war-what next? That law about black powder really demonstrates how little guys wearing wigs know--or don't you do that--I forget.
Mike

·
Registered
96 Posts
Im sorry

Hi again,
I am really sorry to post twice but I bought a Berreta shotgun at Cabelas this past fall and I swear they asked more questions about Canada then made sense. At the time I was going hunting and didn't think about all the silly--and I mean silly-questions about going to Canada. Now I understand but wish I didn't. One thing though-there are so many guns in the US and more pressing problems at the moment that gun regulation is far from the top of the list. But you are so correct sir about Homeland Security creating a mountain out of a molehill with nonsence. If the people responcible for our secuity had done their job in the first place there would be no such agency. In a nutshell they passed the buck right atop our shoulders instead of maning up to their massive failure to share intel. I am starting to feel sorry for you guys up there. Your laws are a nightmare but your country on balance is awesome.
Mike

·
Banned
415 Posts
Mike...our great country is what keeps all of us (mostly) law abiding citizens sane. It's gorgeous, it's friendly, it's sparse and thick in population, it's huge, it's got mountains, forests, plains, lakes, ice, and a larger cultural melting pot than any of us could even begin to imagine.

For anyone who has never visited Canada, it would be a shame to let ANYTHING stop them, be it law or even simple conjecture.

Besides, from what I hear...it seems we still have it alot better than California?

·
Inactive account
541 Posts
Mike...our great country is what keeps all of us (mostly) law abiding citizens sane. It's gorgeous, it's friendly, it's sparse and thick in population, it's huge, it's got mountains, forests, plains, lakes, ice, and a larger cultural melting pot than any of us could even begin to imagine.

For anyone who has never visited Canada, it would be a shame to let ANYTHING stop them, be it law or even simple conjecture.

Besides, from what I hear...it seems we still have it alot better than California?
HERE HERE! :D

And yes, I think we do have it better than California! Gotta love those >.50 rifles! :cool:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.