Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few months ago I think it was you who posted a piece on skinning and quartering a moose without ever field dressing it in the typical manner. I've searched all around, and can't seem to locate the post. As much as I'd rather just back the truck up to a field dressed moose and then winch it into the back, our moose are getting smarter. The last few years we've gone further in the woods and field dressed and then kind of hacked them up. I'd like to make this a less messy process. Please do not take up your time to re-print your instructions, but if you can remember the title of the thread, let me know. Thank you

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks 338 - and Joel B, too

·
Registered
572 Posts
Thanks Alyeska, been sleepin at the wheel I guess.

Joel did a great job describing the process and it works great.

I used it again last night right after I administered last rites to a moose that forgot to look both ways. One of the greatest benifits of this method is that if there has been massive internal damage (gutshot or full body hit by large truck) that you do not run the risk of contaminating meat.

I can do a large moose by myself in about two hours this way with nothing more than a 3.5 inch knife and the little saw blade on my leatherman tool.

If I am not trying to save a cape for a client or need to speed up the process due to weather or traffic I do not even bother to skin out the quarters but just cut em loose and load em. The meat stays quite clean that way since the hide provides protection and it seems to cool fast enough to keep things till I get home under a proper light and on a nice table.

Scotty

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Aye Scotty, Thank you

1 - 6 of 6 Posts