Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i recently picked up a 338 RUM barrel and have added it to my switch barrel battery, the action i'm using it on is a 700 from the late 70's and the feeding port is too narrow at the rear to allow the rounds into the magazine. i don't know that i've given the best description but basically i've picked up an ultra mag magazine box, & magazine follower but the rear of the opening on the bottom of the reciever is too narrow at the rear to allow one to lay a cartridge on the follower and push it down into the magazine so it is effectively a single shot.

did remington start to machine the magazine port differently when they started making ultra mags? i'm figuring that i can open up the rear portion of the port and it'll work fine but i also use the action for a 30/06 & a 25/06AI and i'm wondering if i'd simply need a newer magazine follower or if it's simply a no go... i'm not gonna do anything until i have some rock solid info as i don't want to compromise the versatility of the action.

any thoughts?

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
Big Dan, I have several 700's on hand, both short and long actions. Small base, standard and magnum actions all have different dimensions for the magazine port. I am guessing the Ultramags have requirements different than classic magnums.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well i took the rifle apart after i fiddled around and figured out that i could load the magazine thru the floorplate and the rifle fed the cartridges just fine... looked things over and decided to take just a skiff of material off at the rear of the magazine window on the bolt handle side of the opening and presto! can now load thru the magazine port! i used a fine pitch file and took virtually no material off but hey, it worked...

·
Registered
704 Posts
well i took the rifle apart after i fiddled around and figured out that i could load the magazine thru the floorplate and the rifle fed the cartridges just fine... looked things over and decided to take just a skiff of material off at the rear of the magazine window on the bolt handle side of the opening and presto! can now load thru the magazine port! i used a fine pitch file and took virtually no material off but hey, it worked...
Sounds like a great solution.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks guys! it was such a short section where the cartridge was hanging up that i figured i could knock off a few thousandths of an inch and not hurt anything...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts