Shooters Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently started casting for my Rugger .44 mag. I am using WW for lead, adding a small amount of tin, and water quenching them from the mould. The mould is a 250 grain Keith style SCW. I loading with 19 grains of 2400 powder. I figure the velocity should be around 1000 FPS according to the loading manuals. I have lubed them using Alox and sized them with a .429 Lee sizer. (I did not lube them the second time after sizing) I bought a used RCBS lubesizer and RCBS lube but haven't used this as yet. Last night I shot a box of these home brews as I sighted in my Ultra Dot sight. I was not sure what leading looked like till last night. I ran a patch of "Ed's Red" down the barrel and followed it up with the brass bore brush. I noticed flakes and shreds of lead on the cloth the gun was resting on. I cleaned the barrel 4-5 times using the same process but switching between Ed's and Hoppes #9. I let some of the cleaning solution soak in the barrel for 20 minutes while I ate a sandwich. I was finally able to get the barrel clean as evidenced by a clean patch and looking down the barrel with a bore light. What have I done wrong to cause this much leading after shooting just 50 bullets?

·
Banned
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sionaprhys

My next purchase will be a chrony. I wondered about sizing with Liquid Alox and then wiping most of it off when sizing. The gun is new and has only had 150 rounds through the barrel so it should be in good shape. I tried a cast bulet before sizing and I had a difficult time pressing it through the cylinders using a pencil. After sizing to .429 I can force it through the cylinders with the pencil. I should have paid closer attention to any leading after I shot a box of reloads with a factory lube in the grooves. I still have two boxes of these loaded that I will shoot this weekend. I have cast about 400 bullets but will not lube any quanity until I get this problem fixed. I may try a few rounds straight from the casting die without any sizing to see if that fixes the problem. I plan to shoot some steel targets this weekend at my sister's farm and this will give me a chance to try different loads and lubes without having to pay the range fee while cleaning the gun between loads. Thanks for the input.

·
Banned
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Would the barrel smooth out faster if I bought a couple of hundred jacketed bullets and loaded them hot? I plan to shoot some .38's this weekend also. This gun is 30 years old and has had maybe a 1000 rounds through it. I will look carefully at this one to see if there is any leading. I only shoot store bought LCW's in this gun that I load myself. Now I have shot a couple of boxes of .357 FMJ's thought this gun, so perhaps the barrel is already broken in on the .357.

·
Banned
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ID shooter: Never shot at Sudlersville. I used to belong to a muzzleloading club but their range was closed by houses being built too close to the range. I have two ranges about 5 miles from my house but have only checked into joining one so far. I use an indoor range about 10 miles from home or shoot at my sister's farm in Gettysburg, PA.

·
Banned
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
As I stated this gun is new and has only had 100 rounds of LWC's through it. I talked with the gun smith in a Gander Mountain store this past Friday. He said he would charge about $40 to lap the bore. He then said why don't you do it yourself. I ask how. He said make sure the bore is clean. Use a soplvent and a bore brush. Get a box of FMJ ammo. Fire 1 round then clean the bore. Repeat this process for 5 rounds cleaning between rounds. Then fire 2 rounds and clean the bore. Repeat this process for 5 rounds of two, cleaning between every 2 rounds. Then increase to 3 rounds. Same procedure. After a set of 5 three round shots go to 5 rounds and clean between every 5 shots. I tried this process as I had an outdoor place to shoot the gun and clean between rounds. (They won't let you clean the gun at the indoor range I use). I have not had the chance to fire any more of the bullets I cast. I will next start to eliminate additional variables such as how the bullets are lubed and how they are sized. Thanks for all the input and suggestions.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts