Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious as to why Jacketed bullets for .45 ACP come .451" and when I buy lubed lead bullets, they come .452"?? Do they need to be sized down to .451, or can they be used as is. Is .001" going to make any big deal in accuracy?
The recommended min the load data is .451"

Would appreciate someones comments.

Thanks !

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Cast bullets should be at least .001 over sized. There is a sticky about the subject somewhere on the forum.

Edit. Fourth one down in this sub forum

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
The indoor shooting range that I use requires jacketed or plated bullets. I was not happy with the accuracy of .451 plated bullets. I noticed that several of the companies produce .452 plated bullets and bought some. The accuracy improved dramatically.
Now if I can find .358 plated bullets.

Jim

·
Registered
549 Posts
I have found plated bullets to be very sensitive to pressure/velocity. When working up loads, until you get to the "threshold" pressure to sufficiently obturate the base of the bullet, accuracy is junk. When you hit the right pressure/velocity, then accuracy will tighten up immediately. Go with a little too much powder, and groups expand rapidly again.

I was shooting .451" plated in a Casull, with .452 bore and .453-ish chamber throats, and went up 3 grains of powder in ½ grain increments until I got 1.4" groups at 25 yards. Another ½ grain up and they went back to 3" plus. Basically the same song and dance with two other revolvers.

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
Curious as to why Jacketed bullets for .45 ACP come .451" and when I buy lubed lead bullets, they come .452"?? Do they need to be sized down to .451, or can they be used as is. Is .001" going to make any big deal in accuracy?
The recommended min the load data is .451"

Would appreciate someones comments.

Thanks !
For 45acp you want .452 for cast bullets and .451 for jacketed with one caveat.. unless you have a new sidearm, slug the bore to make sure of your bore size.

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
The indoor shooting range that I use requires jacketed or plated bullets. I was not happy with the accuracy of .451 plated bullets. I noticed that several of the companies produce .452 plated bullets and bought some. The accuracy improved dramatically.
Now if I can find .358 plated bullets.

Jim
Performance on plated bullets are not as good as Jacketed. That's been documented. I don't bother, so it's either cast or jacketed and I still burn a LOT of .45acp ( in one case a sub gun).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts