Shooters Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,777 Posts
They are all pretty much alike in my opinion, but I would definitely get infer-red and not flash. The flash will eat up batteries in a hurry with much activity, where the infer-red will last all year.
I've got a Moultrie, Stealth Cam and Tasco. The Tasco is the little one about the size of a wallet. They all take good pictures but I do like the the ease it takes to program and work the Tasco ( Bushnell makes the same one)
Good luck.
It sure helps if you use them right. I put my son on a good buck a few years ago, and we had that deer pegged within about 10 minutes of when and where he would be in the area. AT 7:10Am, I got on the walkie talkie and asked my son if that buck was there yet, then heard a gunshot. The comeback on the 2-way was, "oh yea, that's old news"
They work good

·
Banned
33 Posts
I've got three Moultries, a Scoutguard, and a Wildview. The Wildview is a sorry camera. Stay away from them - if and when they decide to take a picture, the subject is long past, and they eat up batteries. The ScoutGuard is a good camera, but I don't care for the short flash range. The Moultries are good cameras, and best for the money. Their main problem is with the display screens. They don't last very long, but an email/call to Moultrie will get a free replacement screen mailed to you - free. Go for the IR feature, and also get one with external battery ports. All of mine operate off external batteries, and seldom change them out.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
The Cuddeback Capture is a great camera. I'm running 3 of them as of now. Stay away from the Capture IR, tho. The Capture is going for $175 after rebate right now. Just don't throw out your UPC from the packaging. Cuddeback will flat out tell you you're S.O.L. for your rebate if you do (like I did).

·
Registered
13,141 Posts
I would respectfully disagree that they are all the same and strongly echo the warning against the Wildview camera: It has taken as many pictures as a Moultrie I have, but has used up two sets of batteries where the Moultrie has only used up 20% of the first set. That's roughly 10 times as much battery used to capture a like number of images and fewer have been of deer because the trigger speed is just too slow.

The one feature I would encourage anyone to look for, who is in the market for a trail cam, is to get one that requires both a motion and IR reading before it triggers. This greatly reduces the number of pictures taken of moving limbs or background stuff. An IR flash, versus conventional white flash, also conserves battery life and spooks less game.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Any pics???

I think you should look at the image quality of the cam. Who cares how long the battery lasts if it is a shotty pic. The KY fish and game are trying to track a Liger by my dads house and the pics they got of the animal are really bad. The photos are real pixelated and blurry. Do any of you guys have photos from these units you could post? Do any of these units take video? 480, 720HD??

·
Registered
13,141 Posts
Who cares how good the image quality is if your batteries are dead and you have no picture to look at? It's not like you need an 8 megapixel image to determine if it's a doe, a 6-pointer, or a monster 10! :rolleyes:

Image quality of an in-focus object is not a concern with any of the modern trail cams...KY F&G is probably using something antiquated, if they're getting badly pixelated or blurry images.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.