Shooters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've cast bullets for a number of years but have never used gas checks. I have a Lyman 450 lube/sizer and the gas check insert from Lyman for 45 Cal. I'm using the Lee C452-300-RF (90359) mold designed for gas checks. My question is, will the Hornady gas checks work with this combination or is there a better choice? I'm leaning towards Hornady because it seems the price is a bit better. If there is another choice out there that works well and is cheaper I'm all ears. Any other advice is appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
29 Posts
gaschecks

I've always put my gas checks on by hand, and then just tapped the base of the bullet on the bench, (if needed) before I put the bullet in the lubesizer. Some bullet/gascheck combinations fit tighter/looser than others. I'm using hornady gaschecks which crimp on in the lubesizer. I gascheck all my rifle loads, and only mag pistol loads.

·
Super Moderator
13,444 Posts
My understanding is that, currently, Hornady is the only actual manufacturer of gas checks. So Lyman or any other brand you might encounter are actually repackaged Hornady checks.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
My understanding is that currently, Hornady is the only actual manufacturer of gas checks. So Lyman or any other brand you might encounter are actually repackaged Hornady checks.
this is correct they all are the exact same

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks this is helpful

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I've cast bullets for a number of years but have never used gas checks. I have a Lyman 450 lube/sizer and the gas check insert from Lyman for 45 Cal. I'm using the Lee C452-300-RF (90359) mold designed for gas checks. My question is, will the Hornady gas checks work with this combination or is there a better choice? I'm leaning towards Hornady because it seems the price is a bit better. If there is another choice out there that works well and is cheaper I'm all ears. Any other advice is appreciated. Thanks.
Yes, with few exceptions any gas check bullet will use Hornady's gas checks. Push the bullet onto the gas check, then size the bullet in the mschine. The gas check will be crimped into the bullet base when sized.

·
Banned
742 Posts
Well..This thread answered my question without me even thinking of them. Yet another reason to be a part of this fine forum. People asking and answering questions we often don't think of because we hadn't got to that point yet.

·
Registered
670 Posts
And you can get a tool to make your own if you're so inclined. They work just as good as the ones in the red box.

·
Super Moderator
13,444 Posts
The Lee sizer works very well for gas checks and the price is dirt cheap.
I'm not sure about that. Dirt was only $2 a bag at Lowe's this year. ;)

·
Registered
43 Posts
My understanding is that, currently, Hornady is the only actual manufacturer of gas checks. So Lyman or any other brand you might encounter are actually repackaged Hornady checks.
"Gator checks" are made in FL by an independent. Good gas checks at very reasonable prices

·
Super Moderator
13,444 Posts
Haysb,

Thanks for the lead. I looked into it and it is actually Louisiana, not Florida. The maker is an optometrist. One series of posts said you get his office when you call, but you will get a call back and can order. That may have changed or it may not. Apparently they are copper and they are less expensive than Hornady, but that's all I know about them so far.

Larry Blackmon, O.D.
Bullet Swaging Supply
303 McMillan Road
West Monroe, LA 71291
(318) 387-7257
Fax (318) 325-7034

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Haysb,

Thanks for the lead. I looked into it and it is actually Louisiana, not Florida. The maker is an optometrist. One series of posts said you get his office when you call, but you will get a call back and can order. That may have changed or it may not. Apparently they are copper and they are less expensive than Hornady, but that's all I know about them so far.

Larry Blackmon, O.D.
Bullet Swaging Supply
303 McMillan Road
West Monroe, LA 71291
(318) 387-7257
Fax (318) 325-7034
He's got a website, but apparently just got started, as there's nothing there.

·
Super Moderator
13,444 Posts
I didn't find that on my first search. Can you post the URL?

·
Super Moderator
13,444 Posts
Thanks. I've bookmarked him to check out after some time has passed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts