Shooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody! I am new here at this forum. This is my first post. I have a question about the law in Connecticut (where I live) on handguns. I know that to purchase one here you need a permit and certificate of eligibility, but to actually own a handgun you do not need one. So I was wondering, if on one of my frequent trips to Maine or Pennsylvania, amongst other states that don't need a license to purchase handguns, could I buy a handgun in one of those states and bring it back to my home? I know you can't take it anywhere without a permit, but I would generally only keep it in my home.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Federal law prohibits individuals from buying and taking possession of handguns in other than their home state. You can buy one in another state, but it must be then shipped to a dealer in your state, and you must go through the paperwork required in your state to get it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I didn't know about the federal law. You'd think that CT laws would be more conservative, given all the rich people, but alas, no. Thank you for your quick response, pisgah.

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,227 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I feel fortunate to live in the very gun friendly state of Louisiana. Lots of gun shops and gun shows. Local papers are full of guns for sale from local residents. No paperwork required to by from an individual.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Everyone generally thinks that Texas has the most Handguns per person, and that may be true, but...

In Louisiana, there are as many Handguns than there are Alligators... :D

·
Registered
825 Posts
I would say go through the headache and red tape to get the permit. It wouldnt be any fun to own a handgun if you couldnt take ot to the range once in a while. Just do what I do when I have to deal with the VA, smile a lot and question every dumb thing they tell you. You gotta keep smiling though. That is the ony way thru governmental stupidity.

·
Registered
484 Posts
For me it was worth every second of work required to get my CHL. It is really nice to be able to carry whenever I desire outside of banned areas of course. Going to the range is much easier, just jump in the truck and go. No need to lock everything up separately etc. Go for it.

·
Banned
1,668 Posts
mikekrey,

As a retired federal agent, may I suggest you contact your District Attorney and ask him/her about your state's handgun laws and be guided accordingly. Since the DA is the person who will indict you if you err, get his/her legal opinion in WRITING and be guided accordingly. Further, I would not solicit legal advice on an internet Forum. Some New England states like Vermont and NH have sane gun laws. Massachusetts and Connecticut are another case all together, so talk to your DA.

Welcome to this Forum.

Webley

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Everyone generally thinks that Texas has the most Handguns per person, and that may be true, but...

In Louisiana, there are as many Handguns than there are Alligators... :D

According to the TV show, Troy, Elizabet , RJ, Jay Paul and others have greatly reduced the alligator population.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Yes, another inverse reaction... ammunition sales are up ! :D

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,227 Posts
Webley gave you excellent advice. Check with your local authorities.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts