Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, i just got my lee lead pot and bullet mold. i got the 430-310rf mold that takes a gas check. i was wondering if i can shoot this bullet at a low velocity without using the gas check? how slow do i need to load to? i cast a few today and was impressed with how easy the lee mold worked. now i'll have to see how it shoots. the price is right for experimenting.

·
Super Moderator
9,486 Posts
Gave this post a day to 'season', but as no one else has jumped in, will do so. I shoot a lot of gas-checked bullets without theire gas checks. Usually I don't drive them all that hard and am usually using rifles...have used handgun gas checked bullets in the past, but find that I don't need them at ehs speeds I drive my hangun bullets.

There is a difference in a palin based bullet and a gas check bullet without a gas check. Have gotten good accuracy at speeds to 1200fps but I follow the following:
1. I don't size bullets unless they are WAY too large. If they fit the CYLINDER THROAT of that revolver (or at most .001" smaller), I leave them alone. Idea is that when you kick them in the rump on firing, then tend to become the diameter just ahead of the chamber...better to have them start out near that size than have them bump up more randlomly.
2. I do tumble lube. With falt nosed GC bullets to be used without a GC, will set them on their NOSE and let the lube dry on there base (about 24 hours) before loading, this makes for a smokey load, but seems to help accuracy/leading.
3. Rule #2 is less improtant the slower you dive the bullets.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the info ribbonstone. i've got some tumble lube, so maybe sunday i'll get a chance to try them out.

·
Super Moderator
9,486 Posts
What are you going to shoot them in? rifle or handgun?

It isn't that you need a gas check, at least for speeds below 1400fps or so (and with some bullets, a lot more), but there are worries about the shape of the base of a gas-checkless bullet. From what I can see, if that last driving band is large enough to bottom out in the grooves, there isn't a problem with gas-cutting. There is more surface area at the base(...know how some folks flute barrels to gain surface area to dissipate heat? can think of that gas-checkless base as having more area and gaining more heat) and I think that the alox coated base helps. Does produce a good bit of smoke when fired.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i'll be shooting them in my ruger super blackhawk hunter, 7 1/2" barrel. i plan on keeping velocity around 1000 for practice, then using the gas checks, going up to 1200-1300 for hunting.

·
Super Moderator
9,486 Posts
You shouldn't have a problem. I would be more critical of base filling defects...a gas check does give a nice uniform edge even to a less than perfectly cast bullet.

--------
I had trouble keeping .41mag. GC's in stock (they seemed to always be out of stock a few years ago) so I started shoting the bullets without. Worked well for me.

Got PO'ed and had the gas check base removed on one of the cavities...nice job, and the bullet shoots fine, but not any better than the gas check base without a gas check. As its ****ed near impossible to put metal back into a mold, i eventually converted the other cavity to flat base...if I had know the result before hand, wouldn't have bothered and just shot them with gas check bases and no gas check.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts