Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad has real bad arthritis. He used to shoot a 41 many many years ago. He would love to have another, but does not know if he can operate the action. I can tell you, that he cannot pull the bolt back on my Buckmark. Just does not have the strength in his hands. If I cock the Buckmark first and the hammer is back, he can work it. Just wondering if the Smith is easier to operate. I cannot find any near where I live to go check out for him.

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I have arthritis too but still have a decent amount of hand strength so my experience may not match your fathers. The 41 I have been shooting for 38 years is very easy to operate. That being said its pretty well broken in and the recoil spring may not be quite as stiff as a new one but it still functions and I haven't ever fired any that were significantly harder than mine to pull the slide on. Good luck on finding one, they have gotten pricey since I bought mine.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have arthritis too but still have a decent amount of hand strength so my experience may not match your fathers. The 41 I have been shooting for 38 years is very easy to operate. That being said its pretty well broken in and the recoil spring may not be quite as stiff as a new one but it still functions and I haven't ever fired any that were significantly harder than mine to pull the slide on. Good luck on finding one, they have gotten pricey since I bought mine.
I can find used ones for sale on GB and other places, but just none in my town to go see and feel the action.

Another question... can the recoil spring be changed out to a lighter one and use sub-sonic ammo? Just wondering if they made lighter springs for this. Might be another way to help him use it again.

Thanks for the input so far...

·
Banned
421 Posts
The 41 is set up at the factory to use standard velocity ammo, but you can get aftermarket springs for it as well. I have two model 41's, a 1983 and a 2008. I also have a Buckmark, and three Ruger Mark series pistols. The 41's are the easiest to cock IMO, but I don't have trouble with my hands. I have read about someone cocking one with one hand, but I'm not sure where it was. Most likely it was at Rimfire Central though. That would be a great place to pose your question. There are a lot of model 41 owners over there.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The 41 is set up at the factory to use standard velocity ammo, but you can get aftermarket springs for it as well. I have two model 41's, a 1983 and a 2008. I also have a Buckmark, and three Ruger Mark series pistols. The 41's are the easiest to cock IMO, but I don't have trouble with my hands. I have read about someone cocking one with one hand, but I'm not sure where it was. Most likely it was at Rimfire Central though. That would be a great place to pose your question. There are a lot of model 41 owners over there.
I am there at RFC every day, and have posted the question. Only got one bite in the past 4 days.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts