Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question regarding Federally regulated items.

Let's say you own a registered short barreled shotgun and a few suppressors. What happens and what is involved when the owner passes away?

Joel

·
Registered
297 Posts
They can only be transferred to someone who pays the tax stamps.
The way to avoid that is to place them in a trust (I recommend a business contract trust) where the trust owns the guns and anyone listed can use them. (I think I have that right but you need to talk with an attorney to be sure - and to set it up)

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
They can be passed down to anyone they’re willed to. It’s easiest if they’re put in a trust at the beginning though. That just clears it up. Mine are all in a trust that is currently willed to my brother and father.

The transfer of an inherited NFA restricted item is free from the $200 tax. Or at least it used to be. You can contact the ATF about it. They have a form for the folks who would be inheriting it to fill out for their background check. They shouldn’t have to pay anything. Except for passport photos and fingerprint cards.

They do have to live in a “free state” to take possession though. If silencers are illegal where they live, they obviously can’t inherit one!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts