Shooters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How easy and what is the cost of changing a standard Ruger Blackhawk grip to their Bisley style. One of the new Stainless Blackhawks in .44 Spcl is avaiable here. But I want a Bisley grip on it. The make a Bisley grip 4.5" .44 Spcl, only it is blue and I wanted stainless for the weather here in Alaska.
Thanks, Casey in Alaska

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well I just read Marshall's article on here "America's best do it yourself kit" which mentioned replacing the grip frame. Any other comments would be appreciated.

Casey in Alaska

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Found it. The $200 kit turns a $580 pistol into a $780 pistol (not including wood).

·
Registered
6,665 Posts
Almost all cosmetic.

I want the cylinder pin for the look. I have never had a cylinder pin jump the spring loaded pin and I don’t believe I will ever shoot well enough to notice the improvement in chamber barrel alignment.

A change in forcing cone will give a noticeable improvement in accuracy, even for a casual shooter like me. Also the change in forcing cone will reduce the tendency to lead on hot days.

When we collected Colts we had several with adjustable front sights. Still have an H&R 999 with adjustable front sight. I believe this may help to adjust the point of aim for long distance shooting and for odd bullet weights. I would like to drill some hollow points in varying depths for shooting raccoons in trees. I need good striking energy without over penetration.

The trigger on the 44 is a bit creepy and “long.” I would like to have it a little crisper but I can live with a 3 lb or so trigger.

While the new pawl does improve loading and unloading I am trying to convince myself I need a free wheeling hand.

IF I were to have the frame case hardened I would have the front of the cylinder chamfered just for the look. Not certain which type of blue I would get – under normal circumstances not a lot of rain here – plenty this last month but is has been dry….

I have long been a fan of the No. 5 revolver and this is as close as it gets for most of us. For anyone who likes the No. 5 this is probably the one chance you will have to get one at a reasonable price.

Fortunately I have a good selection of .44 caliber molds, the laughter in the background is my wife – I have been on the NEI site and had my nose in the LBT catalog tonight.
If Marshall would add an Ogival wadcutter mold to his line I would get a few hundred to try to see if I need the mold.

I have only made a few slight modifications to my 32 Magnum Bisley to improve its performance with lead bullets. This is the easiest handgun to hit with I have ever shot and I am hoping the 44 Special will prove as much fun when I finally get around to settling on a plinker load and adjust the sights for it.

·
Registered
5,243 Posts
Brownells has a kit
Yep, they do.

I really wanted a birdshead grip on my .357 BH, so I ordered one from Brownells. One close look and I knew it was beyond my skill level to get it right and took it to a local guy who does gunsmith work on the side, (he works for a large Police department as an armorer).

It came home beautiful, and the steel vs aluminum grip frame really improved the balance and feel, it's not a featherweight. But the Brownell kit is exactly that, be prepared to do some fitting and polishing.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So the Brownells kit isn't original Ruger parts? Which was aluminum? The grip from Brownells?
As to fitting it, I had already decided I would spend the money to have my local gunsmith in Anchorage do the work right the first time.
Getting excited! Guns on layaway and I will just have to spend the extra money later this summer. Hope to have it finished by hunting season in Sept. I will set it up with a heavy load (250 grn at about 1050fps) and a light plinker load for fun. I just don't need a 300 grn slug at 1150 - 1200 all the time. :) I htink a .44 Spcl will be fun.
That is what I shoot out of the .44 Mag and heavy .45 Colt when I go in the woods up hear.

·
Registered
6,665 Posts
Here is a good link to mechanics of installing the Bisley grip. The good part of this article is the bullseye ejector button. On hot days in Texas this is a modification you will appreciate.

http://www.snipercountry.com/Articles/HowTo_RugerBisleyConversionProject.asp

We have discussed Joe at Real Guns before. Joe has good practical how to articles and this series on installing trigger pieces in the Ruger Bisley is a good one. Highly recommended even if you don’t want to do your own trigger work – its always good to have an idea of how the work is done, it helps to appreciate the cost behind hand labor.

http://www.realguns.com/archives/010.htm

Here is a link to the Real Guns reloading article for the 45 Colt Ruger Bisley. A good reloading article for the 45 Colt.

http://www.realguns.com/archives/004.htm

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I do handload much of my own ammo. I don't do much of the gun work though. I will check out those articles. I love to read up on stuff even though I don't want to mess it up myself.

I found PMC .45 Colt +P ammo a few years ago and bought a bunch of it. It drives a 300 gr Hornady JSP at 1170 out of my 5.5" Stainless Ruger Bisley. I know it won't penetrate as well as a hardcast lead, but a nice load anyway. I still have a couple hundred rounds left. I wish they still made it.

That turns out to be all the recoil I like! That's why I was so excited when Ruger put these .44 Spcls on the market. I just don't need that big load most of the time. They usually have Glaser Silver Safety slugs loaded at the house.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Ruger Grip Frames

Found it. The $200 kit turns a $580 pistol into a $780 pistol (not including wood).
Sometimes when you want something unique you gotta pay the price. I have a couple stainless steel Ruger single actions, but I would rather have a blued gun. If you happen to be shooting into the sun stainless steel doesn't work so well. I've never had a problem with rust, except one stainless gun I bought second hand. Under the grips the frame was quite rusty, but cleaned up fairly easy. Ruger also sells grip frames for a Bisley.

I've changed the grip frames on three of my Ruger's. I put Super Blackhawk frames on two Blackhawks with 4-5/8" barrels, 45 C caliber. Also put a Birdheads grip on a Sheriffs model Vaquero. I've never cared for the looks of a Bisley, so out of my several Ruger Single actions, I have no Bisley's.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,665 Posts
Cubman

I bought a Belt Mountain cylinder pin and the Storey Bullseye ejector rod for my Buckeye Blackhawk. The Buckeye Blackhawk had just a bit of looseness in the cylinder pin where it enter the frame under the hammer and the small ejector rod button works your hands a bit when shooting warm 32-20 loads. I have polished the cylinder chambers but they need a little more work and the cases still have tool marks impressed in them with warm loads.
I tried the cylinder pin in the 44 Spl Bisley and it is too long so I need to ensure the cylinder pin I buy is specifically for the new Model frames. The story Bullseye ejector rod is just a bit too long for both guns but it is easy to shorten. The Bullseye button appears to be a bit easier for the thumb to extract well-expanded cases from the rough Ruger chambers. No need for modifications to the ejector rod or housing on my guns.

The cylinder pin did require a bit of light sanding to remove about .0005” for a tight fit in the frame.

I believe I will purchase a Storey Bullseye ejector rod for the Bisley as I like the way it feels and it does not seem to catch on holsters or fingers.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
FA18CUB,

Swapping the standard XR3 Red grip frame for a Bisley grip frame involves more than just pulling the main spring and strut and the trigger spring once you pull the grip.

You also have to replace the hammer and trigger because the geometry is different so in addition to the bisley grip frame you need those Bisley parts as well.

Ive swapped an XR 3 Red for a Birdshead on one of my Vaqueros and it is a snap to do. Fit and finish was good so I didnt play with it. And now Ive got the short 4 5/8ths in .45Colt Vaquero birdshead I always wanted.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts